News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Agree... or not... The Best WW2 Pistol....

Chris Boonzaier

I am going to have to say either the 1911 .45 or the Browning High Power 9mm. Reason is that both weapons were a very welll developed design and still are. Most weapons systems of that time (semi-auto) were variations of John Browning's designs or took things from his designs. History shows the best answers. Both weapon systems are still in service with various militaries. The USMC have gone back to a variation of the 1911.

Now for looks, I will say the German Lugar.

Chris, what is your reason for your choice? The P35 looks like a copy of the 1911, but good choice.

Hi,

No particular reason, I just happened to shoot one some time ago and was suprised by how good it was, shooting wise and for comfort in the hand.

It beat IMHO the German pistols.

Other than magazine capacity, I like it more than the Browning HP.

It is very close to the 1911 .45... I guess you could actually call it a 9mm version of the 1911.

I like .45, but in a Heckler and Koch HK45. I am a big guy, can put some weight behind the gun, but when it comes to a .45 I find wartime 1911s are not a nice shoot, 9mm is way better. Modern 45s may be a different story, the HK recoil reduction system is great in their 45.

There will always be folks in the .45 camp and folks in the 9mm camp... :-)

I've used a modern ish Browning (1950s), nothing but problems and a pre 39 P08 which sat nicely in the hand and worked properly even though the wooden grips were loose. Going by that it'll be the P08 but I'm sure there must have been far better pistols in WWII.

Tony

• 4 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...

The Radom is a great pistol, and certainly the equivalent of most in use at the period. I think it is second only to the Colt M1911, of which it is a modification. One of the most accurate of the handguns of the era, reliable, and feels good in the hand. Some of the Nazi modifications are less desirable, but even those versions shoot well.