News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Picture Of The Year (for Me) Ancient and Honorable Company

Ulsterman

So I have had a pretty good year at the flea markets . I passed up a few spectacular finds out of generosity- and stupidity if truth be told- but here is one I got that I am quite chuffed about-

I got this one for $3 off a stand and my heart dropped. The seller had no clue who George V was and thought it was a bunch of Boston Masons....but oh how wrong he was....

Here is the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company of Massachusetts reception on July 12, (The Orange walk coincidentally) 1912 at Buckingham Palace with his Majesty King George Vth. Lots of medals and pomp and the company originally were booked to sail to London on the Titanic.....

But the real prize is the anti-monarchist, die hard Republican (who met Lincoln, Emerson and Thoreau) standing over on the far left corner.

here is a close up of the King and the officers standing next to him. The King looks tired and hot standing with all these portly American social climbers (and they are despite the fact they are the cream of old Yankee Boston society). Note the Sons of the American Revolution Society medals, the state shooting medals - and a few Spanish American war service medals ........ AND a British IGS!

While the Honorable Company was mustered in 1898, it never left the shores of Boston Harbor.

The Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company of Massachusetts was founded in 1637/8 by Pilgrims who had received their military training in the London Company and other municipal "trained bands". These "trained bands" later formed the nucleus of the Parliamentarian army and Halifax's victories against Charles 1st in the first years on England's Civil War. The Massachusetts company saw much service in the New England French and Indian wars- notably King Phillip's War and the capture of Louisburg.

The AHAC was a radical revolutionary group in the 1770s and many of its members fought at Bunker Hill and Saratoga. The AHAC however,being mindful of commercial opportunities and the value of good drinking companions abroad, saw no reason to cut its affiliation with the original London company and the two organizations remain affiliated to this day.

The Company still exists today as a fraternal club (invite only) and in the past its membership was the creme d l'a creme of New England society. Their military history museum in Fanuil Hall in downtown Boston is well worth visiting and every year they parade and read the Declaration of Independence from the balcony. They also raise money for scholarships and other good causes- notably the USO and OXFAM. They are the only "private militia" which has state sanction in Massachusetts (and indeed, all of New England as far as I know).

George Maynard, the MOH winner shown above was born in Waltham Massachusetts. A quiet man, he was a watchmaker by trade and loved to read and was a scholar. A distant sixth (?) cousin of Rick Research (isn't everyone though?) he enlisted in 1861 in the 13th Massachusetts infantry. He won his MOH at Fredricksburg below the heights where the Confederate army mowed down the frontal assault of the union troops in a bloody horror-show of suicidal courage. Union casualties were on a par with the British on the first day of the Somme. For those of you who have seen Glory-the film, that was the battle......

Six months later the Union veterans taunted the retreating Confederates at Gettysburg after Pickett's Charge with "Fredricksburg, Fredericksburg".

Maynard won his MOH for saving wounded comrades under fire.

Later he enlisted into the 82 US Colored Infantry- freed slaves under the command of "Gentleman White men". All of the White officers were socially denigrated for their service with 'Negros' and it took real personal courage and integrity to be an officer. If captured they were often shot on the spot by Confederates-especially by guerrillas in Louisiana, Arkansas and Missouri. Maynard did well and by the end of the war he was a Brevet Major.

His uniform and medal- seen here- are still in Fanuiel Hall.