News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British Korean War ribbon

Hello everyone!

I'd just like to share my latest finds, two British medal ribbon groups from the Korean War - presumably awarded to the same chap.

img142.jpg

img143.jpg

I'd just like to know one thing - since I don't know the name of the man who won them (and there seems to be no way of finding out) - I'd like to know how many British soldiers were Mentioned in Dispatches during the war? Since 14,000 campaign medals were awarded, I believe, it would be nice to narrow it down.

Thanks!

BP

Edited by Brigade-Piron

BP

Your post reminded me that several years ago I bought from a local militaria dealer a Presidential Unit Citation (formerly Distinguished Unit Citation) ribbon bar, which was said to have been worn by a member of the 1st Battalion Gloucester Regiment. Unfortunately, no name was recorded. The bar surfaced in South Africa, so it was far from home.

This is the British-made version of the PUC with the olive background as worn with the No. 2 service uniform. It has obviously seen some wear.

Regards

Brett

BP,

You are correct in that the 2nd Bn PPCLI was awarded the US Presidential Unit Citation while in Korea. Members of this unit still wear the ribbon on their uniform, but only while stationed at that unit. Here is a link for further details: http://www.army.gc.ca/iaol/143000440000270/index-Eng.html

As for the ribbons, I'd also keep them for my "Ribbon Collection". The ribbons in the top bar were British made, while the UN ribbon in the bottom bar is US manufactured.

Jean-Paul