News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Recommend a book on bayonets

IrishGunner

I'm getting the itch to purchase a bayonet. But since I don't know much about them, I'm looking for a recommendation on a good guide book. I'm only interested in bayonets 1800-1918; mainly WWI - especially German.

Thanks in advance!

There are some good german books out... do you want details on the bayonets themselves? There is a book with period photos of the bayonets being worn that is not bad and pretty cheap.

Best

Chris

Yea, I'm looking for something that has details - one to learn to be able to identify the various types and countries; two to be able to decipher particular makers marks etc. Mainly, need to get smart so as to not get fleeced by someone taking advantage of my lack of knowledge.

I seldom say that this or that is the best on the market but in this case I know what I am, talking about.

The best reference in the world on bayonets is the now out of print, "Bayonets of the World" a four volume set by Paul Kiesling. It was published by MIlitary Collectors Service, back in 1976. There are highly detailed technical drawings of every basyonet from the days of the plug bayonet to the latest issued weapon (up to 1976). Technical drawings are far superior to photographs in my opinion. With each drawing comes all the statistics you would ever want.

I would suggest that you look at the offerings of the book dealers at your local gun show as these do come up for sale, one at a time usually.

Honestly, this set makes all other references compost.

If you pourchase a bayonet and THEN want an identification be sure to post it on the forum and I'll be glad to research it for you, as will the other members of course.

Regards

Brian