News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Here's a ribbon bar of general Pohlmann. Can anyone ID all the awards

I'll start off with what I think I see:

Iron Cross II, Red Eagle Order, Prussian Cross Order, Prussian Long service, Centennial Medal, unknown?, Schaumburg-Lippe Cross for Loyal Service, KuK Military Merit Cross.

• 5 months later...
    Guest Rick Research

If you could get the ribbon bar close up about 500% bigger that would help BUT-- he is NOT wearing anywhere near his actual awards. He's in simplified "understated" Nothing Matters But The Pour Le Merite mode... and wearing a ribbon bar IMPROPERLY containing outdated awards moved up to his neck-- a 1916 ribbon bar at war's end!

Generalleutnant aD Georg Hugo Pohlmann (1861-1946) got his PLM on 4 October 1918-- by which time he had also received Prussian Red Eagle 2nd with Oakleaves and Xs (gazetted 19.02.18) that bumped off ribbon bar award, and Prussian Crown Order 2nd X (gazetted 20.10.17) which also bumped off ribbon wear he's got on. So he's not even wearing "Full Prussian!"

He also got an EH2bX on 13.09.16 which you'll find in my Triple Ernestines book as a joint award from Coburg and Meiningen, a Schwarzburg Honor Cross 1st Class with Xs and Crown (Dave can get you date from his roll) both neck awards, and that

Schaumburg-Lippe Honor Cross--Officer grade 14.02.07 as Major at the Hauptkadettenanstalt (rolls transcribed by me yet to be published--in centennial year 2014?)

AS WORN, his naughty ribbon bar =

Iron Cross, Red Eagle 4 (removed by higher grade!), Crown Order 3 (removed by higher grade!), XXV and 1897 (remember dark blue and yellow reverse darkness in these old photo),next two both so dark I can't tell, then a mystery striper, lastly standard WW1 Austro-Hungarian Military Merit Cross 3.r

Guest Rick Research

BTW, here IS one of said Schaumburg-Lippe Honor Cross-Officer grade pinbacks, which I doubt ever got posted since it was from a Traveling Museum throng in early 2011 when I was offline and things only got posted by my peps via CDs. Note that Schaumburg had an ugly sharp pointy metallic rose, whereas Detmold had a soft realistic rose in center.

Imagine wearing this on your belly with that crown held on by nothing but the two pointy "tails." :o

Edited by Rick Research

I'll see what I can do. I'm not sure I can get muchh better an image.

I din't know he was awarded the Red Eagle Order 2nd class with swords and Oakleaves. Would that mean he had the RAO2x without swords before? The oakleaves presentation of this award confuses me.

Guest Rick Research

Red Eagle's needlessly complex appendages... :speechless: All the oakleaves meant was promotion up from medal bar grades.

The more I squint at the portrait, the more I think (remember: inverted dark blue and yellow in the old photo processing) the next to last ribbon has to be an ungazetted-1914 Schwarzburg Honor Cross 2nd Class--which would also have been removed by his 1916 Commander grade 1st Class.

Andreas Schulze-Ising's website (still out there? I've been away soooo long) has the best detailed data (with pix!) on the Red Eagle Orders bizarrely complex categories.

As I understand it, oakleaves, like the bow (Schleife) meant you had received a lower class of the same order. So the "normal" progression would be:

RAO4

RAO3 mit der Schleife

RAO2 mit Eichenlaub

Bruststern mit Eichenlaub z. RAO2E

RAO1E and higher grades

Crowns were a special distinction within a class, rather than part of the normal progression. Swords too, for that matter, with swords on ring indicating possession of a lower class with swords. And Brillianten for higher classes. And the Johanniterkreuz device.

And the RAO3 was especially complicated because there were also a bunch of different ribbon combinations, both for the ribbon itself and for the Schleife. Andreas's web site shows all the possible RAO3 combinations: http://www.medalnet.net/Rote_Adler_3.htm

Regards,

Dave

Yeah,

I've always wanted to see a Schaumburg-Lippe Honor Officer Cross in wear. I too have wondered how the crown hangs in there...

I'm still none the wiser on the RAO grades... I accept my ignorance.