News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A male bow?

I have the similar one. The bow you also showed, is only a half part of the whole device. Second part is cca 40 cm long ribbon, that was sewn at one end to the bow through the patent button. On the other end of the ribbon, there is a second part of the patent button. So I supposse it was worn around neck, while the bow was situated to the front and EK was hanging under it.

Here is the reverse with the patent button. The small part of the ribbon under the button is the rest of 40 cm long ribbon. When I purchased this device, it was holding together only on a few threads, and from that 40 cm, more than 10 was already a separate piece. Ribbon is really very old and fragile, so despite gentle handling it is in three pieces now.

Edited by marrauder

Hi,

some time ago I posted a pic of 4 sons killed in the same family, there was a EK mounted like this, but on a black ribbon. Of course, on the families initiative...

A formulation error in the 1st post, i doubt as well that a widow would have worn this, but I am not so sure an ex soldier would have worn something as "girlie" as this? The mounting styles for single EKs was well known... this looks more like someone mounting something in a frame or something.... I doubt seriously that someone would have shown his face at the local veterans association like this?

With millions of crosses awarded, there are millions of reasons why the person did what they did with this cross, We can only just guess and choose our favourite guess ...

(...) but I am not so sure an ex soldier would have worn something as "girlie" as this?

I don't know if it is the case with very this bow - but it was possible.

Here's a guy who wears his 1864 or 1866 MEZ2 on a "girlie" bow:

Edited by saschaw