News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RAO 4th Class on Ebay What do you think?

Hello folks:

I'd just like to throw in my "two cents" regarding this piece. If one looks closely, you will see that the eagle in the medallion is not of the same design as usually encountered pieces. In fact, although the colour looks correct, its execution looks a bit sloppy!

I have NEVER seen this type of eagle on a last-type 4th Class cross before. It looks suspiciously very much like the eagles I have seen on counterfeit smooth-armed badges that have been circulating during the last few years and have been generally accepted as genuine. The cross body looks fine. So, this begs the question, is this a rare variety not seen before?, or a well-executed copy?

I would RUN away from it at any price!

Look to the thread started today by the gentleman from Belgium to see a "standard" Wagner piece. THAT is the type of piece that you want to spend your money on!

Thanks,

"SPM"

Hello again:

I forgot to comment on the ribbon which looks like an old silk Prussian lifesaving medal ribbon (although a bit too orange perhaps in the photo/scan). Note that although not the standard RAO ribbon, such a ribbon was possible under extremely-rare special circumstances. Perhaps Rick Research or Medalnet could fill us in regarding the RAO awards with lifesaving ribbons.

Best regards,

"SPM"

Hello again:

I forgot to comment on the ribbon which looks like an old silk Prussian lifesaving medal ribbon (although a bit too orange perhaps in the photo/scan). Note that although not the standard RAO ribbon, such a ribbon was possible under extremely-rare special circumstances. Perhaps Rick Research or Medalnet could fill us in regarding the RAO awards with lifesaving ribbons.

Best regards,

"SPM"

Uwe Bretzendorfer had a RAO 4th Class with a Life Saving ribbon attached for sale on his site. I wonder what the criteria was for this sort of ribbon?

I see what you mean about the Eagle. It looks like a third type, not a fourth type. There is a great article on the Eagle types on medalnet.net

Edited by Ramblinfarms