News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A small selection of my military models

Ralph A

Here is a Panther I never got around to completing, but it looks good nonetheless. The Zimmerit paste is made with drywall compound, a technique I found particularly effective.

I slathered on the paste, then added the grooves by pressing the paste with a wet wooden matchstick.

Edited by Ralph A

Here is a favorite, a PzKw Ausfurung III- (L)M50. The canvas tarpaulins are made with cigar tobacco leaf. The trick is to smoke the cigar first before stripping off the binder, so the leaf is soft and pliable. Note the tactical number change, painted over the old number. Also note the (Novorossiysk) champagne cask, mounted to the mud guard and used as a water cask. Also note the little "Tommy" helmets affixed to the mantle, crew-trophies from the Balkan (Grecian) campaign of Spring 1941, transferred from an older weapon. They are made from halved split-peas fixed to tiny cardboard disks. This model is authenticated to the Southeast Russia campaign of 1942. I made it in 1979.

Also note how the tracks "sag" between the bogeys, a little detail many modelers forget to add. The mud is real mud, from genuine NC red clay tar. The devil is in the details.

My only regret is that I didn't whack up the thin track mudguards even more than I did. Those things were fragile. Also, the paper labels on the "potato-masher" crates are a little thick... I should have used onion-skin cigarette papers. To explain the grenade cases... remember, these Mark III's were infantry support vehicles.

I made dust with real dust. First spray the model with a light coat of WD-40. Then, put it in front of a fan, sprinkle dust behind the fan. As a bonus, the WD-40 gives the model a faint petroleum smell... which can only add to the realism.

Edited by Ralph A

This one is my absolute favorite. It is completely scratch-built. An H/O T-34 that ran into some bad luck... and a little door-knocking! Note how some fragments from the anti-tank shell have taken a piece out of the gun, leaving the rest intact. I used no paint on this, only a little wite-out, some soot from matches... and some real rust from an old nail soaked a few days in saltwater. This is my "minimalist" effort.

The "trees" mounted above the track covers served two purposes for the crew: as make-shift fascines, and as firewood for the evening's campfires. In this case, the 75mm PAK round that brewed up the tank cut through the wood like butter, and left splinters all over the tank's chassis.

I noted from period pictures of destroyed tanks how they all seemed to lose their sharper edges in death; they all look somewhat softer in detail, and somehow... melted. I tried to duplicate this effect, and I think I suceeded (note how the "un-destroyed" side seems sharper).

Edited by Ralph A

What is incredible about these models is that over three decades they survived several moves: a couple in South Carolina, out to Santa Barbara CA, then back to Alexandria VA, then to Stafford County VA... the depredations of marriage and its responsibilities, neglect and two kids. They are very fragile; the fact that they have travelled over 6000 total miles intact still amazes me. The real things often didn't make it through such travail! :cheeky::unsure:

Edited by Ralph A