News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Meritorious Service Medal

Recently acquired this MSM to add to my collection. It has the 12mm crimp brooch and makers mark for Williams and Anderson. Does anyone know as to when the 9mm brooch which is on the current US medals first appeared? This medal probably dates from the 1970's.

I have always been fond of this medal. It was created in order to allow the Legion of Merit to retain its prestigue, as it was starting be be awarded for lesser actions or accomplisments. I would love to have one of these before I retire.

I like it as well, thats why I have waited unti l could find a good example to acquire. I have been to a medal fair today but there never seems to be a good selection of U S medals which is a shame as they are a interesting area to collect and reflect on the history of the U S Forces and the conflicts in which they have served.

Edited by muckaroon1960

The types are usually British and German although there are medals from other nations. The types of US medals vary but the majority are the modern issue type but if you look hard enough you can find the odd original issue for the right price. I actually bought a nice Purple Heart from the medal fair which has the loop suspender, not numbered but detail and finish is of a high quality. George Washington bust is well detailed and his coat of arms has been soldered into position. A nice medal.

medals from other nations

What types of medals do you see at these fairs?

Edited by muckaroon1960