News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Coast Guard Medal Group to AMCS Junor

Paul R

Hi Rick and Larry,

He served from 1939 until 1959. He has a National Defense Service Medal on his ribbon bar. I dont know why it is not on medal bar.

The medals are:

Coast Guard Good Conduct Medal

American Defense Service Medal

North American Campaign Medical

Asiatic Campaign Medal

WW2 Victory Medal.

His first four years of service were in the Navy. His Navy Good Conduct Medal and National Defense Service Medal are missing. For some reason, it looks as if he opted not to wear his Navy GCM on his CG uniform. Note the absence of it on the CG Ribbon bar.

I know that he did not deploy. He retired in 1959, so he was definitely eligible for the National Defense Service Medal, as seen on his ribbon bar.

George,

Thank you. I had no idea about the one Good Conduct Medal rule. Do you know(approximately) how long ago that rule changed?

It does not look like any of the stars from his ribbon bars made it onto the medal bar. That would have been an easy thing for a counterfeiter to add too. Either the medal bar was made early on in his CG career or he really did not care too much about them. I know a lot of people in these days who did not care enough to add stars and etc to their large medals.

It does not look like any of the stars from his ribbon bars made it onto the medal bar. That would have been an easy thing for a counterfeiter to add too. Either the medal bar was made early on in his CG career or he really did not care too much about them. I know a lot of people in these days who did not care enough to add stars and etc to their large medals.

I meant the ribbon bar; not the medal bar. He had the star on the earlier Navy ribbon bar, but didn't add it to the later Coast Guard ribbon bar - even though the GCM has the multiple stars.

OK. I was able to read up on the topic of the American Defense Medal Clasps. The only one allowed by the Coast Guard was the one for "Sea". The Navy allowed for various other clasps. Since his rate both in the Navy and Coast Guard were aviation based, he may not have been on sea duty during that time in the Navy, but qualifed for one of the other clasps(Foreign Duty). When he transferred to the Coast Guard, the only clasp that would have been allowed to carry over would be a sea service(Vessel) clasp, so he may have lost the right to wear it when he switched services.

Also, I remember seeing somewhere that other service Good Conduct Medals were not allowed to be worn on uniform unless they were from the same service. I will have to see when this rule was changed. This may explain for the missing Navy Good Conduct Medal.