News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1/72 Metal Aircraft WWII

Dolf

The Grumman F4F-3 Wildcat. After the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7 1941, the Wildcat had the hard responsibility of fighting against the Japanese Zero. Despite the fact it was not as good as the Japanese fighter, 54 American pilots became Aces flying on the Wildcat! Eight of them were awarded with the Medal of Honor.

This one, that participated in the Battle of Guadalcanal, in September 1942, was flown by Commander Robert E. Galer, whom by the end of 1942 already had 14 confirmed kills, becoming the 4th Wildcat Ace.

Dolf

Edited by Dolf

• Replies 107
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Grumman F6F-5 Hellcat.

Considered the best aircraft based on carriers, a master piece of design and a decisive contribution for the victory in the Pacific.

One of the Aces flying a Hellcat, Commander David McCampbell, number one Ace of the US Navy, was one of the most awarded pilot of WWII, including the Medal of Honor and other awards.

This particular aircraft belonged to the VF-24 Squadron, in July 1945, but I have no info on the pilot.

Dolf

N? 45, the new addition arived today.

Messerschmitt Bf 109 K-4, from Group III/JG 27, Mars 1945, Germany. (Apparently they just used the same cast used for making the previous 109 G, and gave it another painting :( In fact the canopy for the 109 K model should be pretty different from this one, as the 109 K used the Erla or Galland canopy, which improved the pilot visibility)

No info about the pilot!

I used a large pic of Cape Byron, the most easterly point of Australia, as a background (well, after some work on Photoshop to make the flash spots on the background pic to disappear, you can even see the light house on the 2nd pic :D ), even thought I believe these birds never fought in that part of the World. Just a test :P

Dolf

• 1 month later...

A couple of recently arrived models.

N? 46, a Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate "Frank" of the 57th Shimbu-tai, special attack corps, May 45.

The mission of this unit was to knock down the B-29 bombers using direct attack technics!

No info about the pilot!

Dolf

Edited by Dolf

N? 47, a Focke Wulf Fw 190A-8R2 of 6/II JG 300, L?bnitz Airfield (Germany), November 44.

Initially the JG 300 was created as a night fighter unit, and in July 44 it was reorganized as an assault group.

This aircraft was flown by second-lieutenant Paul Lixfeld.

Dolf

• 2 weeks later...

The Grumman TBF-1C Avenger.

This one belonged to the VT-2 Squadron from the USS Hornet carrier, August 1944.

The Avenger of the VT-2 Squadron distinguished themselves among other battles in the Battle of the Philippine Sea, in June 44.

Dolf

And yet another one arrived today, the Soviet Lavochkin LA-7. (This is N? 49, so only one to go :cheeky: )

This particular aircraft was flown by Lieutenant-Colonel S.F. Dolgushin, commander of the 156th Aerial Fighter Regiment (well, not sure if the right designation as I'm translating :blush: ).

Anyway, this aircraft was based in Kluzov airfield, eastern Germany, on April 45.

As you can see, it shows on both sides 17 red stars for as many confirmed individual victories, and 11 white stars for as many shared victories.

It also shows on both sides of the nose the Gold Star Medal of HSU! :love: (Any additional info on this HSU?)

Dolf

And now the American birds.

Starting with probably one of the best fighters ever, the North American P-51D Mustang.

This one, the "Big Beautiful Doll", flown by Lieutenant-Colonel John D. Landers, from the 84th Fighter Squadron, 78th Fighter Group, 8th Air Force, based in England in 1945, was probably one of the most famous Mustangs of WWII. Landers was the pilot from his unit who got the most kills, 145 in dogfights, but also destroyed a number of enemy aircraft on land.

Dolf

Hallo Dolf, Nice birds you got, . . . . here are pictures of the original "BIG BEAUTIFUL DOLL" its in the Imperial War Museum in London, I took these when I visited there about 10 years ago, sorry for the quality but I was using a normal camera and not a digi type :(

Kevn in Deva :beer:

Hallo Dolf, Nice birds you got, . . . . here are pictures of the original "BIG BEAUTIFUL DOLL" its in the Imperial War Museum in London, I took these when I visited there about 10 years ago, sorry for the quality but I was using a normal camera and not a digi type :(

Kevn in Deva :beer:

Kevin,

Nice ones! I see you like the P 51 Mustang :P Btw considered by some experts as the best fighter ever! Not sure I can ID the other aircraft, could it be a German Focke Wulf?

I've never been to the IWM, but visited Le Bourget, near Paris! What a superb collection they have!!! Unfortunatelly I didn't take pictures, and instead used an old Super 8 camera, so no pics :(

Dolf

Kevin,

Nice ones! I see you like the P 51 Mustang :P Btw considered by some experts as the best fighter ever! Not sure I can ID the other aircraft, could it be a German Focke Wulf?

I've never been to the IWM, but visited Le Bourget, near Paris! What a superb collection they have!!! Unfortunatelly I didn't take pictures, and instead used an old Super 8 camera, so no pics :(

Dolf

Hallo Dolf, the enemy plane is a Focke Wolf 190 (not sure what Designation letter though) :(

I was actually up on the balcony shooting pictures of a Jagdtiger tank down below and took pictures of the plane to use up the roll of film :P

Kevin in Deva, ok off to bed on the road early in the morning for the mountains :beer:

Hallo Dolf, the enemy plane is a Focke Wolf 190 (not sure what Designation letter though) :(

I was actually up on the balcony shooting pictures of a Jagdtiger tank down below and took pictures of the plane to use up the roll of film :P

Kevin in Deva, ok off to bed on the road early in the morning for the mountains :beer:

A FW 190, that's what I had in mind. Hard to tell the letter, but it could possibly be a FW 190-A. Of course I wouldn't be able to tell the number that follows the letter (from 1 to 8)! :cool:

Dolf :cheers:

And yet another one arrived today, the Soviet Lavochkin LA-7. (This is N? 49, so only one to go :cheeky: )

This particular aircraft was flown by Lieutenant-Colonel S.F. Dolgushin, commander of the 156th Aerial Fighter Regiment (well, not sure if the right designation as I'm translating :blush: ).

Anyway, this aircraft was based in Kluzov airfield, eastern Germany, on April 45.

As you can see, it shows on both sides 17 red stars for as many confirmed individual victories, and 11 white stars for as many shared victories.

It also shows on both sides of the nose the Gold Star Medal of HSU! :love: (Any additional info on this HSU?)

Dolf

Well, thanks to Andrew (MONDVOR) here are a few pics of Lieutenant-Colonel S.F. Dolgushin.

Apparently the info provided on the booklet that came with the aircraft doesn't seem to be correct and after all he was on the 215th Fighter Air Division (8th Fighter Air Corps, 4th Air Army), rather than on the 156th!

Anyway, here, next to the draw of his aircraft (as shown below) they mention a 156 and a 215, I'm just not sure what that means and the online translator I used didn't get any acceptable result:

Ла-7 командира 156 иап подполковника С.Ф. Долгушина.

215 иад 8 иак 4 воздушная армия. Аэродром Клюцов, Германия. Апрель 1945 г.

This is what I got:

La -7 of the commander of 156 [iap] of Lieutenant Colonel s.F. [Dolgushina].

215 [iad] of 8 [iak] 4 the air force. Airfield Of [klyutsov], Germany. April 1945.

On the 2nd pic he is in the center.

I'm not sure on the 3rd pic, but I think he is on the far right. Or is he on the far left?! Not sure :unsure:

Anyway, according to Andrew he should be the 2nd from left! The others are: Holodov, Baklan and Moshin.

Thanks a lot Andrew :beer:

Dolf

Edited by Dolf

Dolgushin was a commander of 156th Fighter Regiment. This regiment in turn was a part of 215th Fighter Division (normally division included 3 regiments). And the division was a part of 8th Fighter Corps (normally air corps consisted of 2 divisions). About the picture - I believe that Dolgushin is second from the left. He is only one of them with Nevsky and he looks like Dolgushin from the other picture. Three others are Holodov, Baklan and Moshin.

Abbreviations belov the picture of La-7 mean:

ИАП - истребительный авиационный полк (Fighter Air Regiment)

ИАД - истребительная авиационная дивизия (Fighter Air Division)

ИАК - истребительный авиационный корпус (Fighter Air Corps)

4 воздушная армия - 4th Air Army

Just a few WWII aircraft, 1/72 scale plastic kits. These were assembled, painted and weathered by myself, a loooong time ago. A few survivors from the old days. Some have missing parts, such as antenas, guns, etc... :blush:

Starting with a Soviet Lavochkin LA-5. Well, at least I believe it is! It was built many years ago, so I don't have complete details anymore (well, I probably still have the original assembling instructions somewhere, but in which box that's another question... :unsure: ).

Dolf

Edited by Dolf

And a drawing of a famous La-7, Major Ivan Nikitovich Kozhebud' s aircraft.

Before flying with this aircraft Major Kozhebud used to fly with a LA-5, and when he was given this LA-7, white 23, he already had 48 victories!

Major Kozhebud was the Ace of Aces of all Allied pilots, ending the War with 62 victories!!!

He was awarded three times with the Gold Star Medal of HSU!

Dolf

Edited by Dolf

Another one of my favorite WWII birds, the British Hawker Hurricane.

This one has no weathering (only some dust...) it's supposed to be in new condition.

Dolf

Edited by Dolf