An unusually named medal to the GOC Bodyguard, GSWA

This group is a fairly recent acquisition and I have started the detailed research process regarding the recipient.

I am in the middle of Mogadishu so access to internet is not guaranteed (to put it mildly).

Regards,

Will

Hi Will

The Bodyguard trio I my collection has the War and Victory Medals inscribed "B/.O.L.", which I have assumed stood for "Bevelvoorende Officier Lyfwacht", or something similar. Perhaps your "K.I.C.L.W." is "Commander in Chief's Bodyguard" (i.e. "Kommandant in Chief Lyf Wacht") made up by a not-fully-bilingual public servant.

Regards

Brett

Thanks All,

I made a mistake, Pretorius was in the Lichtenburg and not the Krugersdorp Commando, District 1, and fought at Kraaipan, Twee Rivieren, Klip Rivier, Donkerhoek, Rooiwal, Twee Bos, Belmont, Kimberley, Transvaal, Deldsnek?, Talmant?. (? = Cannot make out the writing!)

He gave his commanders as Commandant Vermaak, General Koos De La Rey, Veldkornet Jan Cronje and A/Veldkornet H. Haman.

He also served as a policeman in the Transvaal Supreme Court.

Pretorius was captured on 7 May 1902 and obviously had a very extensive Boer War record.

He was released from the Umbilo P.O.W. Camp in Durban on 20 June 1902.

Regards,

Will

Edited by sabrigade