News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Brodie type helmet ID help

Just bought 3 of these helmets which look unissued. Can anyone tell me anything about them.

They are made of fibre/ pressed cardboard shaped and rivetted. The top piece is a metal plate folded and rivetted on, and finally painted green, the liner is simply stapled together. I cannot find any markings at all, the maker obviously didn't want his name on the helmet.

The whole helmet is of the cheapest manufacturing quality, even the chin strap buckle is of plastic.

Gordon

Worn by sections of civil defence, fire services and rescue services as protection from falling debris and being non metal was a safeguard against electrocution from damaged live power cables. I also believe miners wore the same type of helmet albeit in differing shapes.

I wore a plastic/fibre for three summers when I worked underground for the International Nickel Company [iNCO], which had a passing resemblance to a Brodie; low crown, wide brim. None of the miners liked them much until we were ordered to wear the peaked 'construction helmet', with attached 'earmuffs' [hearing protectors], when it was discovered that the new helmets didn't keep the water from dripping down one's neck the way the old ones had! "New and improved"! :angry:

Ours were not metal, I suspect at least partly for reasons of economy, as the electric shock thing - which makes sense for firemen and rescue workers, didn't apply in our work places. I agree with Spasm, that this looks like a factory/rescue helmet.