News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ricky...I know you are lurking :)

First off it was awesome to see you here....even if it was a short visit. Very nice to see you :jumping:

A teaser for you.....a Feldpost Oberrat Athens 1941 with the Order of Military Merit Commander's Cross from Bulgaria

Please drop by often

:cheers:

Larry

Edited by Laurence Strong

Faithfully transcribed verbatim for your enjoyment –

Re: Laurence Strong’s Feldpost portrait in 3rd Reich research –

Laury! Congratulations on finding one of the most unusual senior Wehrmacht Beamten imaginable! :speechless1:

Unfortunately as his ribbon bar shows 25 years Treudienst cross, he transferred to his direct wartime rank from the civil service and we only have May 1939 army career administrative officials.

Amazing what mere rank-while-breathing could get somebody!!!

I don’t know of a wartime Post-Beamten list, but wouldn’t be surprised to learn that there was one. Dave Danner has found a teachers’ seniority list (u-n-I-n-d-e-x-e-d!!!) that shows WW2 awards circa 1942, so –
    ever increasingly-
    All Hope May Not Be Forever Lost.

Still computerless AND internet-less,

Rick Research

P.S. Not, alas, “lurking” – upon a rare occasion am visiting one of the Northeast GMIC Branch Traveling Museum and can log onto their computomasheen for a few minutes. Not polite – at someone else’s house – to log online and play computer for hours!!!!

P.P.S. Tell the truth – that’s Rush Limbaugh in a German uniform!

• 2 months later...

Faithfully transcribed verbatim for your enjoyment –

Re: Laurence Strong’s Feldpost portrait in 3rd Reich research –

Laury! Congratulations on finding one of the most unusual senior Wehrmacht Beamten imaginable! :speechless1:

Unfortunately as his ribbon bar shows 25 years Treudienst cross, he transferred to his direct wartime rank from the civil service and we only have May 1939 army career administrative officials.

Amazing what mere rank-while-breathing could get somebody!!!

I don’t know of a wartime Post-Beamten list, but wouldn’t be surprised to learn that there was one. Dave Danner has found a teachers’ seniority list (u-n-I-n-d-e-x-e-d!!!) that shows WW2 awards circa 1942, so –

ever increasingly-

All Hope May Not Be Forever Lost.

Still computerless AND internet-less,

Rick Research

P.S. Not, alas, “lurking” – upon a rare occasion am visiting one of the Northeast GMIC Branch Traveling Museum and can log onto their computomasheen for a few minutes. Not polite – at someone else’s house – to log online and play computer for hours!!!!

P.P.S. Tell the truth – that’s Rush Limbaugh in a German uniform!

Thanks for your help. I has been truly appreciated :cheers:

Larry

Ummmm.....been enjoying what passes for summer up here. Cooped up inside 8 months out of the year, no wonder I am vitamin D deficient. My daughters getting married in a week, and I have been watching the bank account hemorrhage money....kinda like an old gas meter......ding, ding, ding, ding, ding...she has some wedding coordinator with some kind of French name and a lisp. Apparently not only does he have a "Champagne" taste, he seems to come with a "Champagne" budget. She gets divorced after this I'll shoot her....LOL

Hahahahaha

Your not helping any Paul :cheers:

So ok enough of that,,,,are there any lists to the Order of Military Merit Commander's Cross from Bulgaria?

Here's another one. Hermann Schmid in 1935 . He is not "White" career, nor do I think he is "Back" either though I could be wrong there. Could be "Red". or an educator in the "Brown" trade......

Any thoughts?

Sincerely

Larry

P.S. Truly nice to see you back Rick. You have been missed :cheers:

Edited by Laurence Strong

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Hmmm.... you're cornering the market on freakazoid images up there. :wacky:

The uniform doesn't go with the 1938 note date-- 1934/35 cap insignia but no breast eagle. Never seen the likes of those collar patchs after 1918 either--the Kaiser's personal Militärkabinett, then. I suspect he may have had that photo taken ca 1934 in the transitional Landespolizei and then gone into Schutzpolizei rather than the army, since I find neither he nor the addressee in the May 1939 army Beamten list.

However... since Yrs Truly slaved away transcribing the Saxe-Meiningen War Honor Medal Rolls--all 23,000 of 'em--there IT is in next to last place and here HE is--

SMM 27 July 1918 (page 409 on the Roll) to Hermann Schmidt, Musikmeister Füsilier Regiment 38, aus Gera, Reuß j.L. ... thus exxplaining the crowned medal in front of his SMM. :catjava:

Edited by Rick Research

Interesting, Army Music Superintendents (Heeresmusickinspizienten) had a crimson nebenfarbe , and only had a high grade career (höherer Dienst). The tabs were worn by HV members at the start of the TR as a carry over from what I can find out

Dave Sutter has a nice set for Justiz Beamte just down from the top of page 12 here;

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12721&page=12

I know its WAF however I have never seen another set till this picture.

Musician eh......

Thanks Rick

Larry

Guest Rick Research

Iron Cross 2nd Class on combatant ribbon, Prussian Red Eagle Order Medal, Prussian XV Years Service Cross for NCOs, Reuss Gold Merit Medal with Crown and Swords on War Ribbon, SMM, Silesian Eagle 2nd Class 1919/21. Have called for biographical help...

Musicians had their own Rank Lists!

Professor Hermann Schmidt, born 9 March 1885 in Gera, died 5 October 1950 in Berlin-Templehof. Entered the Prussian Army on 1 April 1903. Shown as a Musikmeister-Anwärter in Infanterie-Regiment von Wittich (3. Kurhessisches) Nr. 83 in 1913. Promoted to Musikmeister on 15.2.15. In 1927 he was the Musikmeister of III./10. Infanterie-Regiment in Dresden. As the Musikinspizienten were transferred from official to soldier status WEF 12 April 1938, he is not listed in the 1939 edition of the Wehrmachtbeamten list.

The collar patches are the pattern introduced per order 11 March 1930 for all higher grade officials (Beamten des höheren Dienstes).

Regards

Glenn

Guest Rick Research

Like this they were at the front with their regiment.

Bandsmen were usually the stretcher bearers, though the band master probably sat around in the HQ bunker assisting the paymaster or something.

Music inspector isnpected the bands, chose music etc etc.

Guest Rick Research

Here's another one--Grenadier Rgt 9. NO, they are not executing the guy on the platform! Note drummers and brass behind left f the firing party in the field (but certainly not under enemy fire HERE)

and a mere drum major, WW1 and armed to the teeth!

and some out in front of their unit in 1938 (again check out the sidearms!)

Guest Rick Research

The photo is from a very odd transitional period of roughly 1934. He's wearing his awards in the old Prussian-first Imperial era precedence... before creation/bestowal of the Hindenburg Cross. That's what's weird with the Nazi insignia on his hat, but not on his tunic. The Red Eagle Order Medal, being peacetime, would have been bumped to next to last place under 1935+ Third Reich precedence rules.