News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Small tribute and medal group

ETN2 Larry Robert Christensen

US Navy 2 Jan 1958 to 1 Jun 1962

US Navy Res. (2Jun 1962 to 1 Jun 1964)

US Navy Res. (24 Jun 1971 to 6 Apr 1973)

US Coast Guard Res. (7 Apr 1973 to 6 Apr 1977)

ETN2 Larry Robert Christensen

Awards and Decorations:

Bar Mounted:

Navy Good Conduct Medal

National Defense Service Medal

USS Rupertus DD-851

I meet with Larry a number of times. The first time I helped him write for his father’s WW1 Victory Medal. Larry gave me the WW1 Victory Medal and his Navy Good Conduct Medal. He said “he only wanted to see it”. The last time was in Nov 2009 at his home – I interviewed him and he gave me his and his father’s pictures and paperwork to copy, which I did and returned them to him. I really liked Larry, he was a good man, the world is a little sadder now that he is gown. ETN - Electronics Technician (Communications).

Larry Robert Christensen obituary

Larry was born on May 15, 1938 and went to be with the Lord after losing his seven-year battle with cancer on November 3, 2010. He passed away at about 9 pm while resting in the arms of his loving wife, Valerie. Raised in Ferndale, he graduated from Ferndale High School in 1956 and from Humboldt State College in 1965 with a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology. He immediately accepted a job as a Social Worker with the Humboldt County Welfare Department and worked there for 35 years before retiring in January of 2001. Larry proudly served in the US Navy from June 1958 to June 1962 as an Electronics Technician. He joined the Naval Reserve Unit in Eureka in 1971 and transferred to the Coast Guard Reserve in 1973, serving there for four years. Larry is survived by his wonderful wife Valerie of Eureka; son Robert of Harrisonburg, VA; daughter Linda Scott and her husband Greg; daughter Karen Baas; granddaughter Karissa Knourek and her husband Josh, granddaughters Breanna Scott, MaKayla Scott, Katelyn Baas, and Ashlyn Baas; great-granddaughter Peyton Knourek, all of Redding, CA; and mother-in-law Ann Verbich and brother-in-law Ron Verbich, both of Eureka. He was preceded in death by his father Robert in 1962, mother Rosamond in 2009, and infant great-grandson Colton Knourek. Larry enjoyed bicycling, walking, photography, reading his Bible and historical adventure novels, trips on Customer Coach, and especially being with his grandchildren and great-grandchild. He had an incredibly bright and sharp sense of humor and was making us laugh right up to the end. Larry and family are especially grateful to Eureka Internal Medicine's oncology department: Dr. Majer and nurse Rose, infusion nurses Kathleen, Leeann, and Sandy, and all of the staff who made a frightening and difficult situation so much more tolerable; and to our church family at Faith Center Foursquare Church: Pastors Matt and Gary, Chris, Ron and Shirley, Jim, Rick; and all the other wonderful friends and family who kept us in their prayers, sent cards, and who were always there to talk and to help us keep our perspective on life and death and remind us of God's promise. We are also grateful to the fine folks at Hospice of Humboldt who gave Larry great care and dignity during the final days of his life. At Larry's request there will be no formal services. In lieu of flowers donations in his memory may be made to Faith Center Foursquare Church's Building Fund, 1032 Bay Street, Eureka, CA 95501, or to a favorite charity. "I may not get better But some day I'll be free. 'Cause I am not this body That imprisons me." - John Darnielle, "Isaiah 45:23" Arrangements are under the care of Pierce Mortuary Chapel, Eureka, CA 707-442-3751, www.piercemortuarychapels.com Please sign the guest book at www.Times-Standard.com, click obits.

Published in Eureka Times-Standard on November 7, 2010

I met and liked Larry – he was a good man.

Edited by army historian