News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Golden Kite 1 and 2

dark379

Oh i see, wow that is an nice research Mr. Nick and additional knowledge to me also...happy to know it :cheers:

so i got a replica box :speechless1:

but still happy and lucky that the medal are not fake :speechless:

Thank you very much Mr. Nick, you have a clear and nice presentation :beer:

With such rare order it doesn`t really matter :beer:

Well, maybe it does. As we know today these modern fabricated materials can affect metals and enamels badly if these are exposed to chemically processed cloth, wood or plastics over a longer period of time. Corrosion, discoloration and "slimy" patinas can be the consequences.

Those two pieces are real beauties and it's always nice to see such rarities. :) Congrats

Well, on the atomic level elemental changes should occur quite fast but it takes some time until it's visible with the naked eye. In one case a collector reported that in only one week his treasures were covered with a bright green layer. But usually it takes a few years (between 5 and 20). Of course not every material will show a reaction or at least not in our lifetime but there is one thing people tend to forget: "gold" (and other precious metals) usually does not mean a purity of 999/1000 but rather 333/585/750/900 which means that 777/415/250/100 parts are not gold or in other words: these parts can show ugly reactions. In some rare cases even galvanic reactions can occur through the air between two exhibits if disadvantageous conditions dominate the room/vitrine (humidity, temperature). In our modern world almost every piece of furniture oozes fumes that can harm our valuables and aren't good for our health either. That includes glues, paints and lacquers (that aren't water-based), plastics, synthetics, rubber, all chemically treated fibre-materials, smoke, perfumes, evaporating materials (alcohol, gasoline), cleaning agents and so on but in most cases only contact to the surface will cause visible harm. Therefore glass will be the best way to go if you don't have the original boxes and not plastic foils and stuff like that. It always depends what pieces we are talking about: You shouldn't rack your brain about a soviet veteran of labour medal but if we are talking about scarce, very rare or even unique pieces we have a different case. For your enjoyment, the monetary and the historical value(as most of our collected pieces will probably survive us (at least they should(!) since these are pieces of history)) you should think about the storage of important pieces.

Thank you utopis, for a nice scientific explanation ill try to find a new better location for those medals, to make it last longer.

i see so most of the modern materials are all bad to the for antiques and Thank you for sharing it. :lol:

Well, on the atomic level elemental changes should occur quite fast but it takes some time until it's visible with the naked eye. In one case a collector reported that in only one week his treasures were covered with a bright green layer. But usually it takes a few years (between 5 and 20). Of course not every material will show a reaction or at least not in our lifetime but there is one thing people tend to forget: "gold" (and other precious metals) usually does not mean a purity of 999/1000 but rather 333/585/750/900 which means that 777/415/250/100 parts are not gold or in other words: these parts can show ugly reactions. In some rare cases even galvanic reactions can occur through the air between two exhibits if disadvantageous conditions dominate the room/vitrine (humidity, temperature). In our modern world almost every piece of furniture oozes fumes that can harm our valuables and aren't good for our health either. That includes glues, paints and lacquers (that aren't water-based), plastics, synthetics, rubber, all chemically treated fibre-materials, smoke, perfumes, evaporating materials (alcohol, gasoline), cleaning agents and so on but in most cases only contact to the surface will cause visible harm.

Trübe Gedanken that easily can give anyone düstere Stimmung :)

Trübe Gedanken that easily can give anyone düstere Stimmung :)

;)

Oh it could be much worse. Do you want to hear my thoughts about how easy it is to create extremely good copies if you just know what to do and what means to use? I thought maybe to start a topic about that but I'm not sure if this knowledge won't be used against us. I haven't decided yet.