News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1940 Hungary "Leventeverseny" Medal

Hello All,

I just acquired this Hungarian medal from 1940. It states "Leventeverseny" on the reverse.

I did some Wikipedia research and found that the :

Levente Associations (Hungarian: Levente Egyesületek) or simply "levente" were paramilitary youth organizations in Hungary in theinterwar period and during the Second World War. It was established in 1921 with the declared purpose of physical and health training. Since mid-1930s they have de facto become an attempt to circumvent the ban for conscription imposed by the Treaty of Trianon and over the time it had openly become a pre-military organization under the leadership of veterans. Since 1939, by the Act of Defense, all boys of ages 12–21 were required to take part in levente

This is good background inforation, but I still do not know what SPECIFCALLY this medal was for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Take care. Linas

As far as I know this type of sport medals were general purpose - the empty place engraved with an actual inscription for instance 1st Place or similar.

The word "verseny" means tournament.

Edited by Markgraf

The Levente had some great medals and badges. In this case, I think this is a military sports tournament medal from the Horthy period. the Levente fought with the SS during the siege of Budapest. My neighbors Dad was a 16 year old half Jewish Levente volunteer who drove an ambulance during the siege...and was given an SS uniform parka and cap to wear. Later he was a pow in Russia, was repatriated and got out of Budapest after 1956 and became a US citizen and ran a CVS. He lived long enough to vote for Obama.

Edited by Ulsterman