News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soooo many collectors pay lip service to "history"... but dont care at all for the events of back then.

Recently on a German forum a guy was saying he would not pay more than 20EUR or so for a death certificate in its roll. he obviously had no interest in the units or actions they represent....

The one here you could lay 1000EUR on the table, and not get it... (because it is worth more to me ;-)

http://www.kaiserscross.com/40029/129601.html

So this trimmed one would be... maybe 10EUR on his scale?

The regiment suffered pretty heavily in the fighting, though perhaps not as bad as the British regiments they faced. These are the pages with RIR 99's casualties in the 25. August 1916 Prussian casualty list, which appears to be the first consolidated list of Somme casualties. Each page contains approximately 380 names. Josef Rehm appears among 3.Kompagnie casualties and Wilhelm Braun appears among 13.Kompagnie casualties.

And the 26. September 1916 Prussian casualty list wherein Uffz. Gerhard Sommers appears among 9. Kompagnie casualties. This list also includes corrections and updates to the lists above.
    Sommers was also wounded in 1914 as a Gefreiter in the same company:
    Rehm was wounded in 1914 as a Wehrmann in 15./RIR 99:
    Rehm was a native of the Hohenzollernsche Lande. Rick might be able to tell you if he received the Silver Merit Medal with Swords associated with the Princely House Order of Hohenzollern before his death.

Guest Rick Research

Lucky for us we collect things nobody else wants, huh Chris! :whistle:

I have to agree with you-- Tamaras and all, the most important documents (to me) in my collection were to a mere NCO, 1 of only 189 men to survive the extermination of his regiment in 1917. He may have been a "nobody" but he survived a version of Rorke's Drift. He was--literally--one of the very few real-life luckiest guys... alive.

• 3 months later...

Don,

Here:

http://des.genealogy.net/eingabe-verlustlisten/search/index

There are some glitches, and it doesn't do search variants, so you have to get the name right.

Main page for the project is here: http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/Verlustlisten_Erster_Weltkrieg/Projekt

They are also only about 70% complete in transcribing the lists (though that is a huge accomplishment in itself).