News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A Hanoverian 1866 Refugee/Saxon 1870 Minis Chain

Guest Rick Research

Andy, Christophe and Glenn--for you. I'm stumped by the gaps in my antedeluvian Saxon sources. He's in there SOMEWHERE!!!!

SV3a, SA3aKr (double sided mini so I don't thinks it's a pinback SA3), EK2 70, Saxon XXV, Hanover langensalza Medal, and 1870/71. So: pre 1895 (no EK oakleeaves), pre-1897 (no Centenary Medal)... RAO3, Russian St. Vladimir....

retired before 1895? Potentially dead before 1895-- and most likely an Oberst aD from the Prussian RAO3?

Over to youze guys....

Edited by Rick Research

Rick,

the nearest match I can find is the later Generalmajor z.D. Curd v. Plato. A former Hannoverian Premier-Lieutenant. His Saxon Merit and Albrecht orders, however were both commander's grades. He is still listed in the 1904/05 Ordens-Almanach with additionally a Japanese Sacred Treasure Commanders and a Centenary.

Regards

Glenn

Hi,

Very nice Chain, very impressive. Just for information, I agree with Glenn about the commander cross. Indeed the crown to Albert Order is appeared on 19 July 1901. Have to see in the RL to see if there is a match or if GM von Plato is the one here.

Christophe

Guest Rick Research

Aha! It never occurred to me the two Saxons were Commander grades--the kingdom was so stingy before 1900! :jumping::jumping::jumping: Excellent work gentlemn! ¡Muchas obligados! :cheers:

Guest Rick Research

Oddly enough, he never had the lower medal bar grades! :speechless:

Any chance of a portrait as regimental commander?

This is what I turn up from Saxon Rank Lists, 1870 Iron Cross list, Prussian Ordensliste, the Orders Almanac, and "Hannoverischen Armee... Juni 1866.... Verbleib im März 1897..."--

This chain dates between JUNE 1893 and when he inexplicably acquired a Japanese Sacred Treasure 2nd Class in retirement 1894/95.

Curd aka Kurt ido aka Kurt Ido Karl (take your pick) von Plato

Born Hitzacker, Hannover 19 April 1840, died 3 April 1924

In Hanoverian army

Portepéefähnrich 1858

Second-Lieutenant 1858

Premier-Lieutenant 02.12.62 in the infantry Garde Regiment, Hannover

In Saxon army

Hauptmann 1868 (wounded at St. Privat in K.S. Gren Rgt 101)

Major 20.04.78 E commander II./ IR 105

Oberstlieutenant 18.09.86 Staff/ IR 134

Oberst 01.02.89 B commanding K.S. IR from 01.02.89 to 20.06.92

Generalmajor (see above!) 12.11.91 #1 and commanding K.S. 48. Inf Brig 21.06.92-24.06.93

retired 30.06.93

SV2b 27.06.93 as retirement present

SA2b 05.04.92

RAO3 10.09.89

RW4 before 1880