News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ethiopean Historic Sword,

The recent informative posts on Taureg and West African and Sahel weaponry has reminded me that I found pictures

of this sword in shop files a few weeks ago. Ethiopea - or, Abysinnia as it used to be, is on the opposite side from West

Africa - and is a far older culture. This culture included a number of Nobility titles - under the Emperor, the highest being a Duke.

This was a Roman rank - and if I remember rightly, meant a war leader - Dux.

The Nobles had financial means to have good weaponry and although it followed a localised pattern, they often had important

swords made with blades forged overseas. The British firm of Wilkinson was known to regularly send quite large shipments

of blades. They also ordered from Italian sword makers and particularly like damascened blades (ones where the metal was

repeatedly folded to give strength and make a pattern in the steel.

I only found these few pictures - the sword came-in about 15 years ago and sold quickly. The blade was curved and as you

can see was finely decorated. The scabbard was camel skin - again, finely embossed. The handle is probably Rhino Horn.

The Forte mark shows the Lion of Abysinnia with the Emperor's Crown above. The name will be the Italian armourer.

The foreign blades were always finished with a locally made hilt and scabbard. Age wise, it could have well been taken by

the British during the Abysinnian War of 1868 - although as to when it was made is a different matter. With the style of

naming , perhaps 18th Century ?

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2013/post-6209-0-73141100-1375283028.jpgclick

Well I can hopefully shed a little light on this. S. Terzian refers to Sarkis Terzian. He was an Armenian (1868-1815) who spent time in Egypt and Ethiopia and supplied quantities of arms to Menelik the II. These blades are usually from Solingen makers in Germany or British as you mentioned.