News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

Bavarian Major with Bavarian Military Merit Order 4th Class (BMV4), Bavarian 1905 Luitpold Jubilee Medal, Prussian Red Eagle Order 4th Class (RAO4), Bavarian army XXIV Years Service Cross.

Edited by Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

K.B. Inf Rgt 8-- if this was circa 1913, that would be major Ludwig Käfferlein from the awards.

Guest Rick Research

:cheeky: 3 of us live online posting over each other... but I am the fastest!!! :cheeky:

Bavarian 1914 Militär-Handbuch:

Note his farewell present from Baden aftyer your photo was made. Per the 1914-1918 Ehren Rangliste he went aD 25.05.14 and died of natural causes as an Oberstleutnant zD 18 November 1914.

It will take longer to track down award dates for his BMV4 and RAO4. :catjava:

Guest Rick Research

Rats!!!! That's why I was hoping for a nice chopped in year down in the corner.

Käfferlein: BMV4 26.12.07 and RAO4 10.09.08 both as Adjutant K.B. 4. Inf Div.

Guest Rick Research

Hmmm... I lose Eduard Hoffmann-- there in the regiment as Oberstleutnant (with BZ2b-- "BZ4" per Bavarian rank List speak) in 1913, but vanished by the 1914 issue. * 1862, ? † 1913/14 (Bavarian Rank Lists don't list deaths and transfers the way Prussian ones did). NOW I'm stumped. Rather awkward mortality rate for senior orfficers of KB IR 8--something they ate in the officers' mess? :speechless1:

Oberstleutnant z.D. Ludwig Käfferlein was born in Bayreuth on 25 August 1864. He was Offizier der Prüfungsstelle München at the time of his death. No dates for his awards in his Kriegsrangliste entry.
    Oberst z.D. Withelm Eduard Hoffmann was born in Schweinau, Nürnberg on 31 October 1862. If it is him, the photo would date after 24 May 1910, when he received his Red Eagle, and before 12 April 1912, when he received his Zähringen Lion. He also got a crown to his Bavarian Military Merit Order on 25 August 1913. During the war, he added an Iron Cross 2nd Class on 30 December 1915 and a König Ludwig Cross on 7 January 1916. He spent most of the war in command of POW camps. The two awards came during a period when he was Adj. of stellv. II. bayer. Armeekorps.
    Edited by Dave Danner

Dave - Thank You for this interesting info. Can I ask - how do you know all this?

Last question - where can I find the list of awards abbreviations? I know just few of them but I remember there is a full list somewhere here.

Regards,

Marcin