News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Recent pick

According to refs. was initially part of the m1887 tornister held in place with a rod going through the rear loops. The introduction of the m95 saw them issued to cycle troops circa 1899.

This example includes the small five rear loops and has the flap 'tacked' to stop the contents presumably becoming lost, not an earth shattering find but cool, never owned one before.

Eric

Eric,

I've seen these before, but did not know their purpose. The rod system you mentioned was for the attaching the shoulder braces to the pack, very similar to the Austrian pack system. What reference are you referring to? I looked in Pietsch and he only shows the back of the 1887 pack and mentions nothing about this pouch. I'm familiar with the 1912 Radfahrer Gepäcktasche (I have one) that looks very similar to this one from the front, but utilizes a should brace system similar to the M95 backpack with each strap attached to the pack with a type of metal toggle device.

Chip

Chip

Somers vol 3 pg 887.

Eric,

I would sure like to see how this attaches "under the flap" of the M1887 backpack. Does your pack have a provision for attaching this bag on the inside?

Chip

Chip

Unfortunately no after a quick look, I cannot even find an interior image of the m87 on the net so I'am left to speculate. The pack pictured is dated '89 judging by the thread and stitch the inside of the flap more familiar on the m95 may have been added later to replace the separate bag and restamped 1898. I doubt the early pre'95 packs had for example the accessible ammo pockets.

This bag may have just looped through the tent bag pack tabs, don't know.