News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

From my collection I have this very nice ribbon bar, with accompanying photograph. It belonged to an Oberst, but the name of this guy is inconclusive as, there are two versions of the spelling of his name on the back of the period photo.

He was a Bavarian, had 25 years + service and took part in the Anschluss with Austria in 1938.

His medals I think are as follows:

1. Iron Cross 2nd Class 1914-18

2. Bavarian Military Cross with Swords

3. 1934 Cross of Honour with swords

4. Bayern Militärische Jubiläumsmedaille

5. Bayern Goldene Hochzeits-Jubiläumsmedaille 1918?

6. Faded Bavarian Military Service decoration

7. Wehrmacht Dienstauszeichnung 25yr

8. Wehrmacht Dienstauszeichnung 12yr

9. 1938 Anschluss Medal for Austria.

Would anyone like to have a guess at the name of this officer? and maybes add a little about his military career?

Guest Rick Research

Indeed. Please remove the red dots--that eCrap nonsense is not neede here.

Have lots of information, but ONLY for decent unobstructed scans.

This one is SO good as an example of incorrect, non-regulation wear it belongs in the permanent Ribbon Bars section here at GMIC.

Guest Rick Research

I figured as much. :beer: I would still like nice clean scans, though. It's a wonderful example of non-regulation naughtiness

Maximilian von Allweyer

Born 1879

Bavarian army ca 1897 to 1920

Leutnant 17.05.99

Oberleutnant 16.10.08

Hauptmann 07.01.14

charakterisiert Major aD

in K.B. Feldartillerie Regiment 12

1905 Luitpold Army Jubilee Medal

Bavarian Military Merit Order 4th Class with Swords (BMV4X) 30.11.14

Prussian Iron Crosses

Bavarian army XXIV Years Service Cross

From his photo he was also wearing the dynastic “Christmas 1918” Medal awarded 1921 on to Wittelsbach adherents and tolerated for wear. But von Allweyer is also wearing his XXIV contrary to regulations with the Wehrmacht 25 and 12 years service awards which REPLACED it. At his age—and position—it is remarkable to see that he got the Austrian Anschluss Medal!

Wehrmacht service

Major (E)

Oberstleutnant (E) 01.08.37 # 13

Oberst (?)

By 1937 and before the war in 1939 von Allweyer was Kommandeur of Wehrbezirkskommando Bayreuth.

He was gone from Stellenlisten by the May 1940 edition—presumably because he went z.V. On his 60th birthday, or was dead/retired.

Sources:

Bavarian army annual Rank Lists

Bavarian army Military Handbook 1916 edition

Honor Rank List 1914-1918

German Army Position List (Stellenliste) 18.10.37, 03.01.39, and 01.05.40

PS If you search “Allweyer” you will find (back in the deep dark back pages) a sword given by your von Allweyer's ? uncle/?cousin/? Much older brother. It was a very sparse family indeed.

Edited by Rick Research

For what it is worth, I am very much in agreement with Rick on the subject of people wanting information/identification of their photographs/medal bars etc yet plaster them with blobs and all sorts of copy protection. This is two way traffic; if I am to spend my time researching for the benefit of others, I expect the courtesy of a decent image in return. Fair enough in the case above when the image was from an external source and not the poster's property.

Regards

Glenn

Thanks Paul and Rick for taking the time to dig through the archives to pin point a name and also reveal the history behind Maxamillian Von Allweyer. It's always nice to learn more about the objects we acquire and the people behind them, so thank you very much for taking the time to do this for me. :beer:

Here are two of my photos, for a none restricted view of the birds. :love::jumping:

Guest Rick Research

Excellent, much obliged! :beer: What this says about von Allweyer is that he was a monarchist. Not only did he WEAR the only semi-official "Christmas 1918" 1921 dynastic medal--he put it AND his 1905 in front of long service awards, following old Bavarian royal practice. He also quite improperly continued wearing his old Bavarian XXIV, "double dipping" to pad out his group--but also perhaps to indicate he was a "bitter clinger" holding onto the Old Ways.

It is always spectacular to find a face AND the ribbon bar itself being worn. Congratulations.

If he theoretically retired in 1940, he might have tried to keep a low profile for the duration of the war, ESP as the war situation became unstuck for the Wehrmacht. It would Be interesting to see what did become of him after 1940 and get a D.O.D to conclude his story. :-)