News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Evening Gents,

A couple of new bars arrived....

Now aint they smart!

But if you scroll down.....we will see.........

They both are tagged with makers Info...

One with the cloth tag is from J Bohous from Hannover Steintorstr.5

And the Metal tag has BLECKMANN CELLE ABZEICHEN on it

Cute aint they :)

The two place bar is sewn very tightly and the medals are sewn tioghtly to the bar, so cannot even see the maker marks of the actual medals...

The single bar has the MM down below, so i could lift up the bottom of the ribbon and see the maker mark of...R S L

Nice cute additions to the fold....

Regards

Paul

And also i got some more pictures of the Gent whos EKII i use as an avatar....

Peter Krause from Stuttgart

An unexpected bonus as i only expected one photo...with the EK

He is from a Wurttemberg unit

I can see the number 10 on his epaulettes....can anyone shed some light on what this means? then i may be able to look up where his unit fought and gain some knowledge about this man....

Well, I'm no expert, but I'll take a stab at it. Since there's no lace around his collar I'd say his rank is Gefreiter (corporal). I'm having a problem with his regiment though. You say it appears to be a 10 on his epaulette (I can't really tell) and that he's a Wurrtemberger. My problem is lack of knowledge, I don't know if the unit numbers on the shoulder straps were from the army numbering system or if they used the state's numbers. There is the 10. W?rttembergisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr.180, but I thought they would have a 180 on their shoulder straps, not a 10, but I'm probably wrong so this may be the regiment you're seeking. I can't find a number 10 unit of any other type in the Wurrtemberg army, so that's probably going to be the right one. I'd wait until someone more skilled than I am gives a second opinion though! :P

The pictures aren't clear enough to help distinguish which unit he was with, except for infantry. Also, the cockade on his schirmmutze is definately not Wurttemberg (black-red-black) or Prussian (although it could possibly be a larger reservist cockade). The material on the collar more than likely excludes him as a Bavarian. Can you get close-ups of the cap cockades, the rank button on the collar and the shoulderboard with the numbers?

Dave

Gents,

I have to shoot off to work this morning, so will post pics ( if i can get better close ups) tonite.

Looking at the pics, it appears to me that his bottom cockade has a small cross ( what does this mean??) and the top one is black-white-black as dwmosher states....

As far as i can ascertain from close study of the pics...is the number on the shoulder strap is a no 10 then again i cannot see the top and therefore it could be a no 16.... also what does the wee strip at the bottom edge represent?

The button on the collar has a eagle with a baton in its left talon...and the wings are spread..

Stogie, thanks for the kind comments :)

Thanks Gents for you help here!

Kind regards

Paul

Paul

He was from Inf.Regt. Hamburg (2. Hanseatisches) Nr. 76, part of the IX.AK. The shoulder strap most likely was sewn at the shoulder seam, and the slip-on attachment was just left intact rather than removing it. The bottom cockade was actually white with a red maltese cross on it.

Dave

Edited by dwmosher

Thanks Dave!

But what deos the number 10 on the shoulder strap signify?

As i was told he ( well maybe his family was living there now) was from Stuttgart...wouldn't he then be in a Wurttemberg regiment??

How can you tell he was in a Hanseatic regiment? is this based on a 10 or a 16? or the wee button on the collar? OR the cap cokarde?

Thanks for your help!

Regards

Paul

Paul:

The cockade was specific to that regiment, and looking at the folded shoulder strap, its not "10" but half of "76". The prussian rank button (spread chicken), just confirms he wasn't saxon or bavarian (which had light cockades and a different motiff on the rank button). Your boy may have moved to Wurttemberg at some time in the past, but he was a "Hamburger" during the war...

Dave

I also have this pic of this Gent.

His name is on the reverse of the pic, His name is Alfred Holz

the pic was taken in 1917

And there is some extra writing which looks like...Art. Riker. Viz af 1004???

Looking at the pic i can see that there is Artillery motif's sewn onto his shoulder straps...and the tress on his collar would make him an NCO

My Question is...

What rank was he exactly?

and

Did he serve in Art regd 1004?

Any help wpuld be much appreciated thanks :)

Regards

Paul

Paul

I'll start with Post 17. The three infantryman are wearing the M-15 future peacetime uniform for the 6. Badisches Inf.-Regt. Kaiser Friedrich III. Nr. 114, part of the XIV.AK. The shoulderstraps were medium green with a "FR III" cypher. The man in the middle is most likely an Unteroffizier (can't see a rank button on the collar) with an Unteroffizier-Sabeltroddel (bayonet knot) and the man on the right appears to be a Gefreiter (rank button/no collar tresse) from either the 6th or 8th Company. The Hoboist on the left in wearing the musician's "swallow's nests" on the upper sleeves.

Dave

Paul

Post 16 is a little more problematic. Your picture shows at least a Sergeant (collar tresse and rank button) but more likely a Vizefeldwebel, based on the writing on the back of the photo, who had been awarded an EK2. Now, with the dark shoulder straps and light insignia could be many types of units (dragoon, train, some ulans, etc) but with your info you provided, I would presume the straps were red with yellow insignia and he was with the field artillery. It also appears that the insignia is for one of the few cyphered field artillery regiments...

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thank you so much for your help here!

How on earth do you do it? man you must have years of experience!

Its great to know a little more about these Gents of yesteryear!

I will post a pic of the writing on the back of the Alfred Holz pic

So you may have a little more to go on...

Once again, thankyou!

Kind regards

Paul

Paul

The second line indicates his rank as a Vizewachtmeister (equivilent to a Vizefeldwebel in the infantry) which would be correct for the field artillery. Other than the three abreviated letters most likely indicating some kind of artillery unit (Art.) on the fourth line, I haven't got a clue.

Dave