News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Italian medals from Fascist Era

Hello everyone. I am very interested in the wide variety of awards from Italian fascist period and the various wars in which italians participated. In my collection I keep the following parts of this era.

mini_130528101458266316.jpg

mini_130528101750735764.jpg

mini_130528102038420770.jpg

I'd love to get for my collection a Cross of Knight of the Military Order of Savoy, but it seems it is hard to get and took many months looking for some in vain. I hope to be lucky to find one next year.

Hello,

it's interesting to see that Italian medals are of some interest abroad.

First picture. The cross of St.Mauricius and Lazarus looks very fine. The cross of Italy crown seems a late one, with some harm to the Savoy nodes; it has a Spanish suspension. Could you send a bigger picture of the valour medal? It seems to me that it is not a mint one (should have the "Z" in the bottom). The others of the first picture look good.

About the second picture: I've never seen the volunteer medal for AOI you have. For sure it's my fault, but the one I know has the "Morbiducci" mark on the bottom, like this:

48.jpg

Could you post the back view for the Russia cross and the MVSN round medal, please?

About the third picture: th first cross is very interesting. This is my one, on replacement ribbon:

468.jpg

Some doubt about the Africa medal, there are so many fakes around! On the other side there should be the mark Lorioli-Milano and De Marchis:

120.jpg

There are several variants for the 11th army cross. The "official" (really unofficial, bu the very first) is the Mori variant:

143.jpg

About the military order of Savoy: not easy to find. Be prepared to pay more than you do for your best sample!

Bye

No, unfortunately most of the decorations of this man (and documents) disappeared at the hands of his grandson and heir, who had very different political ideas than his grandfather. Instead of selling the whole parts separated because he thought he could get more money for them separately. I could see the set at the time sold for parts, and among them were the Order of the German Eagle and several Spanish political honors such as the Order of Cisneros and the Order of the Yoke and the Arrows.

Hi Claudio.

I'm a por photographer and my camera inst' too a good machine, but...

130908052404644166.jpg

This is my Italian-German Campaing medal, back side. Marks of Lorioli-Milano and De Marchis can be seen.

And these are the MVSN and Russian Campaign CSIR medals:

130908053156121760.jpg

Finally, I don't understad well where must be a "Z" in the Medaglia al Valor Militare. At the bottom of the medal? of the Crown?

Greetings from Spain.

hello again and thanks. Your Africa medal looks good. However, please take into consideration that in the near past a big amount of fakes were set out and that to confirm its originality a direct comparison with other medals is the only way.

The MVSN medal is really interesting and good - no doubt.

The Russia cross has a strange backside. It should be flat, I see many bubbles which are suspect. This medal also has been widely remade, usually by melting, and this kind of bubbles could be the result of a melting.

The Medals for bravery were officially given to the recipient coming from the Royal mint. Here you can see one of it, with the crowned "Z" and F G in the lower part:

69.jpg

However almost all people usually weared unofficial copies without the Z mark, like this:

21.jpg

Bye and read you soon

Hello Claudio.

My Bronze Medal hasn't the three letters at the bottom. I bought both medals some 8 or 10 years ago to a shop of my confidence, Anticopresidio from Firenze. Do you think that is a good reputation seller? What is their opinion of this store among Italian collectors?

Greetings.

The priced catalogue published by the owner of Anticopresidio (who is a numismatist with a good reputation, though) is a relatively good book, but lacks of some in-deep research and detail. In any case, books are always precious, even when not agreeing with the author.

In my opinion, the best work available on the subject of Italian awards are the two-volumes work of A. Brambilla "Le Medaglie Italiane degli Ultimi 200 Anni" (now a collector's piece) and the new edition of volume 1 (enlarged and now fully illustrated with colour photographs, instead of line drawings); volume 2 is almost complete, as far as the author said some weeks ago.

All the best,

E.L.

Edited by Elmar Lang

• 3 weeks later...