News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Uffz. E.A.Lorenzen, observer, D.K.i.G., Cholm missions

Hello readers.

The following pertains to Unteroffizier Ernst August Lorenzen whose military estate is in my care and who served as observer on bord of a He 111 mainly during warfare in the east. Uffz. Lorenzen was born on 3.May, 1921 and died on 27 August, 2000. Based on the flight logs his pilot during most of his combat missions was the later Lt. Georg Juditzki, born 24 October 1919 and died on 1 July 2007. He received the Knights Cross of the Iron Cross on 9 November, 1944.

Here are pictures of the two:

Uffz. Lorenzen , based on his flight log # two began flight training in June 1944 but it is unknown whether he completed it as no pilot certificate or pilot insignia is contained in his estate.

Uffz. Lorenzen summarized his combat deployment thus:

301 missions totalling 549 hours of which

48 supply missions, mostly low level;

39 armed recognizance flights, single plane missions;

44 low level attacks;

12 difficult other single plane missions;

38 night attack missions.

His plane made three emergency landings of which one in partisan controlled area and made three return flights on one engine only.

His plane occasionally transported high ranking generals and a fieldmarshall probably based on the crew quality.

Uffz. Lorenzen was wounded on 27 December 1942 and his log does not list resumption of combat missions until November 1943.

In an additional post I will show some pages of his log book and some document copies of his awards.

Bernhard H. Holst

Hello readers.

I am posting some extracts from the flight log of Uffz. Lorenzen.

These entries list missions flown to support the encircled strong point Cholm by supplying the garrison and bombing attacks.on the encircling soviet forces Also the transport of high ranking general officers.

Here are pictures of some documents of decorations Uffz. Lorenzen earned:

Here are the decorations Uffz. Lorenzen earned. All mission clasp documents are for Bombers , not Transport. Of note: above is the document for the Gold Bomber Mission Clasp with Pendant which he also wears on the picture above which dates the photo as later than June 1944.

The Honor Goblet is kept separately.

Bernhard H. Holst

Edited by Bernhard H.Holst

That is an outstanding set, especially with the Flugbüch entries.

Yes, it has a number of flight log entries of a sad nature such as crew members who were lost and are so simply indicated by a cross behind their names. Both his pilot and Lorenzen had an early entry for training, pilot Juditzki even earlier as glider pilot. That was very popular as you most likely know about. Lt. Juditzki was later assigned to a trial Staffel (Erprobungsstaffel) of K.G.53. Of interest is Lorenzen training as Hilfspilot ( training as emergency pilot. Their trusted plane did not return from a mission with a different crew.

Bernhard H. Holst

Hello Kevin.

Thank you for the information. I will keep a look out for it if I cannot find it in the German language. I am sometimes disappointed in English language translations.

Bernhard H. Holst

Hello Kevin.

The author is a former member of K.G.53. The book was first published in Germany in 1983 or 84.

I have found a German language book already. Thanks for the information.

BTW: Lt.Juditzki flew missions delivering V1 flying bombs towards Great Britain with which tasks K.G.53 was charged among others.

Bernhard H. Holst

I have a KG-53 Wehrpass & citation set to an air gunner/radio operator who also flew on 10 air-launched V-1 operations against the UK - listed in the Wehrpass as 10 Sondereinsatz gegen England.

A good book covering the air-launched V-1 campaign is Air Launched Doodlebugs by Peter Smith.

Edited by hucks216

• 3 months later...

Hello,

A bit late but i have to say! Excellent grouping and thanks for sharing. As Lw. and Cholm are some of my beloved research interests. About the KG 53 and Cholm i have found so far that planes belonging to the I Staffel where active in the ressuply.

This unit lost a total of 15 planes during the ressuply of Cholm. As this soldier was only active in the ressuply and his plane was not shot down or crashed near Cholm he was not awarded the Cholmshield. (offcoarse on ehad first to survive as such to be able to get to Cholm) That lead to frustrations within the German army.

Thanks for posting + Cordial greetings,