News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French-IndoChina War Beret Badges

Steve K.

I'm looking for information concerning beret badges from the First Indo-China War 1945-1954. Is there a reference book that can help identify these badges shown below - Who,When and Where on the uniform they were worn. I believe they were for berets but I'm not certain.....All are Drago marked. I've been told there is a chronology for the DRAGO marked insignia.....this would also be helpful as I have found nothing on the web.

These are most likely Vietnamese badges made by the French maker Drago...however I think units wearing these badges were fighting for the French. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Steve K.

Not much . . .

The badge in post #2 is from the Forces at Hoa Hao, the 2e Commando was posted at Hoa Hao, but their badges are different.

Hoa Hao is in the Tan Chau district which is WNW of Hanoi. Not far at all from Dien Bien Phu.

A good reference is

French Airborne Troops Wings and Insignia

by Jacques Baltzer and Eric Micheletti

It covers only Airborne and such but is worth the price.

Edited by David S

• 10 months later...

Chris

Yes, I've aquired a few more pieces and found a few obscure references that may shed some light on these badges, but it's not alot of information. I'll try to write something up in the near future and post it here.

Did you happen to see or find anything resembling these badge on your recent vacation? They are hard to find. I've been watching French Ebay to get a better idea of rarity. Apparently manufacturing of these badges existed to more modern times, so identifying the correct age of the badge is critical. The Drago mark and the enamel quality help to narrow down the time frame of production.

Steve

There is no one reference book that covers all of these. Symboles & Traditions (a french collectors society) have published a number of books covering diffferent badges for the various arms of service but many are now out of print (and about EUR50 a pop for those still available). TDSC are the Montagnard units, in this case it is the 5th Montagnard Infantry Regiment. The last badge you show is for an infantry officer (maybe NCO since I do not have my books with me) school in Indochina.

There are literally thousands of different French unit badges out there. The main makers from the Indochina period are Drago and Arthus Bertrand but Augis was also active at this time as well. For Drago badges the address on the back helps to date the badge and this can have a huge effect on the value, especially for some of the French para units that had a nasty habit of getting wiped out. It is a huge collecting field but you will need to spend about EUR500 or so on good French language reference material if you are going to do it seriously.

If not, post what you have here and I will have a look through my books and let you know what they are.

Cheers,

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Bonjour,

I hope it's not too late but I have few infos about your "pucelles" (units crests are nicknamed virgin in military french slang).

1/ TDS5SC (Tieu Doan Son Cuoc 5) 5th Montagnard Bn

Created 1st january 1951 with elements from 5 BMEO and members from the montagnard guard, this Bn belonged to the 4th Montagnard division and later july 1954 to Mobile Group 42 (GM 42)

White and blue colors are traditional of Mo? people. Panthera was on the insignia of the former 5 BMEO.

2/Bien Hoa This insignia was worn by members of the "Dodart des Loges" cadre military school of Bien Hoa. It performed instruction to vietnamese auxiliaries in the 1RM (south Vietnam).

3/South VN Hoa Hoa armed forces (Quan Doi Nam Viet Hoa Hoa)

Hoa Hoa is a sect born in 1939 in Chau Doc province (SVN). Anti french mouvement at the beginning, it quickly became well structured and armed. After the japanese defeat, vietminh decided to catch the sect leader and hoa hoa suffered many casualties in september 1945. After many troubles (neutral position, day after day they fought and made alliance with both sides!), a part of the sect decided to join the french forces. 1948, french advisors trained members of the sect but many incidents occured.

The maroon frame is the hoa hoa color.

I'll try to know more of the fourth insignia

Friendly

Valery

...and the last:

Military Inter-Arms School (Truong Vo Bi Lien Quan Doi)

Military academy initially located in Hue and transfered in Dalat in 1950. Students pent 9months and one year after 1953. Between 120 to 230 cadets by promotions.

That's all...

Valery

Thanks to all that gave some great information concerning these badges. It is more information than I could gleen from my sources, however the information that Valery supplied on the Hoa Hao badge was similar to information I found on the net.....so this group must have been a popular movement in Vietnam history.

Paul is correct about the proficiency of the Drago corporation: I was told that it would take 2 or more lifetimes to collect all the badges made by Drago and others for this time period.

The vietnamese used many abbreviations on there badges, which causes much confusion for those not familiar with the language and how their military terms are joined together. Perhaps I can put something together on these abbreviation (however, time has been restricted for me the past month due to family issues).

In the mean time, here are a few other badges I have found that are eye appealing (at least to me)........

Edited by Steve K.

Bonjour,

The crest with the lion is the Tieu Doan 15 (15th Bn)

Created on the 1st july 1951 with Caodaists ( an other sect from the south VN) who served as auxiliaries with the french forces (suppl?tifs militaires des forces terrestres d'Extr?me Orient). Only the CO was catholic.

Located in Tay Ninh (caodaist area), later at Long Xuyen and Rach Gia in 1954

SAT means Secteut autonome de Tay Ninh ( Tay Ninh autonomous sector)

The second one is a signal corp company DI

1 DDTT (Dai Doi Thong Tin) 1st signal company

Created on the 1 february 1951 in the south VN ( 1MR), this company belonged to the 1st Division and located in Can Tho

Collect crests of the vietnamese armed forces is a very attractive thema but unfortunately fakes appear for high valuable insignias such as commando and airborne Bn. Don't worry for yours, they seem 200% !

Friendly

Valery

• 16 years later...