News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EK II unmarked W&L

Hi guys,

Just thought I would share a recent acquisition, an unmarked W&L EK II with most of it's finish remaining. The best cross condition whys in my small collection. Core rattles a little, but paint is almost flawless, with just 2 small (extremely small, only seen with loop) chips to the swaz and the second 9 of 1939. Thanks guys,

Kind Regards,

Steve

[attachmentid=28436]

Very nice cross Steve :beer: . You guys have to excause my limited knowledge in different designs of the EK, but are there any other distinctive features on the W&L crosses, apart from the "hump" at the top, making it possible to tell the manufacturer of an unmarked cross?

KR

Peter

Thanks guys! :beer:

Hey Peter, other than the "hump" of the W&L, I think the other characteristics of this maker are the relatively low numerals on the core, as well as the usually frosted finish these crosses retain. I also just learned that on 1813 on the reverse of the cross, the 3 is always "blocked off" on the top of the 3.

[attachmentid=28650]

Kind Regards,

Steve

Thanks Steve, another small detail for an absent-minded like yours truly :blush:

Here's one cross that I don't believe correspond to yours, albeit it has a hump. It's actually marked on the ring. Anyone wants to give it a shot as to the manufacturer ;)

KR

Peter

Hey Peter,

Haha I can't place it, but its gnawing at my brain. I think the 1813 "blob" between the 1 and 8 is significant, along with the beading flaw and the hump, but I just can't seem to place it righ now. Great looking cross though!

EDIT: mm "40" for Berg & Nolte, L?denscheid, haha Final Answer. :beer:

Kind Regards,

Steve

Edited by stevo4361

Guest Darrell

Very nice cross Steve :beer: . You guys have to excause my limited knowledge in different designs of the EK, but are there any other distinctive features on the W&L crosses, apart from the "hump" at the top, making it possible to tell the manufacturer of an unmarked cross?

KR

Peter

Absolutely ... the most telling sign is the squished beading near where the 12 oclock and 3 oclock arms meet.

Guest Darrell

Thanks Darrell,

I didn't know about that one, thanks! What's your take on Peter's mystery cross? ;)

Kind Regards,

Steve

I've seen one like this before on the WAF ... maybe it was Peter's same cross. Many battered around ideas. Don't know if it was ever ID'd or not :unsure:

I'm sorry for my late response, but you both scored :beer: . Darrell, nothing wrong with your memory ;)

Steve, spot on, it's a Berg % Nolte. This leads me to another question, are there any crosses from other manufacturers with the typical hump present?

KR

Peter

Hi Peter,

Just got your cross' brother in the mail today! On the humps on other EK2s, I believe there are a few more makers that demonstrate this characteristic, but not quite sure which ones. :blush:

Kind Regards,

Steve

[attachmentid=29150]