News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I have a write up for the site on Eisenbahn, just never seem to have the time to finish it...

Eisenbahn units certainly seem to be a great collecting area - not necessarily mine though. Just happen to have a post card sent by a member of Festung-Eisenbahn-Betriebs-Abteilung Nr. 2 to a friend in the Fussartillerie. The stempel made me wonder exactly what the Eisenbahn unit did and if it had any relationship to artillery since it was "Festung"

Edited by IrishGunner

But what exactly did it do...? How many of these could there have been in WWI?

Given the title, I would hazard the guess that they actually ran trains as opposed to being in the construction (Eisenbahn-Bau) business. Hermann Cron lists just four Festungs-Eisenbahn-Betriebs-Abteilungen (1-4) formed at mobilisation and this is confirmed in the Mobilmachungsrangliste 1914 der Deutschen Eisenbahn-Truppen although a further Festungs-Eisenbahn-Betriebs-Kompagnie (Nr. 1) is also listed in the latter publication. A further four Festungs-Feldbahn-Betriebs-Abteilungen are also listed.

Regards

Glenn