News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Russian archives in Moscow now open?

Hi All, I'm sorry if this has already been asked, I've been out of circulation for a long time and now am starting to play catchup. I know a year or so ago the archives were closed in Moscow (Soviet Miltiary records). A member living in Moscow had done some initial research on my wifes grandfather, but we did not get all documents, and was wondering if we can now get back there?

Regards

Rex

No idea if you can or not, but you could try to ask Auke (Ferdinand on GMIC) he is one of the individuals that you can order from so he would know the status of the archives :)

Edited by Rogi

• 2 weeks later...

Hi thanks for your reply, It was for his military decoration records (which we have a copy of) but it was his award citations/record - describing how and why he was given these awards. Which were Order of Red Star, Order of Patriotic War 2nd and 1st grade. Defence of Moscow, Berlin Medal, Liberation of Warsaw and the victory of Germany. We have the numbers of the decorations and the document numbers not how they were awarded (the first three anyway I would think are the interesting ones, the others are standard campaign medals). My wife said the reason the archives were (apparently) closed was for a digitazation progject.