News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Identification of orders and medals and uniform

Jakob Seerup

This is a portrait of Russian General Paul Goudime-Levkowitch painted in 1953 (the year that he died). It is painted by Preben Kannik, who later went on to publish an illustrated book about the uniforms of the world.

The Arsenal Museum (Tøjhusmuseet) in Copenhagen has the uniform in its collections. The entire Levkowitch collection consists of c. 75 more or less complete uniforms and a large collection of epaulettes and various other items.

Levkowitch's medals seem either to have been split up as specimens or not collected at all. In order to recreate the original medal configuration I need to identify the medals on this painting which is the only source I have.

I also need help identifying the dragoon regiment that his headgear belongs to. I wonder why he is portayed wearing this? To my knowldege he belonged to the Horse Guard Artillery. Any suggestions?

Pavel Pavlovich Gudim-Levkovich / Павел Павлович Гудим-Левкович (Paul (?) Goudime(???))

Infantry General.

Russian orders

Order of St. Stanislaus 3rd class (1902)
    Order of St. Anne 4th class (1905)
    Order of St. Vladimir, 4th class with swords and bow (1905)
    Order of St. Anne 3rd class with swords and bow (1906);
    Order of St. Stanislaus 2nd class with swords (1906)
    Order of St. Vladimir 3rd class (1912)

Edited by JapanX

After graduating from Corps of Pages in 1894 - second lieutenant in the 7th horse field artillery battery.

Later transferred to the Guards Horse-Artillery Brigade (08.08.1898).

In 1901, he graduated from the Nicholas General Staff Academy (by 1st category).

In the 1902-1905 years was the chief officer for special assignments at the headquarters of the 1st Army Corps.

Commanded a squadron in the Life Guards Cuirassier Her Majesty's Regiment (1903-1904) (!!!)

Participant of the Russian-Japanese War. Wounded.

He served as a staff officer for special assignments at the headquarters of the 1st Army Corps (1905-1906), staff officer for assignments at the headquarters of the Guard troops and the St. Petersburg Military District (1906). From December 1906 to November 1908 was at the disposal of the Chief of General Staff.

Ranks

Guards Lieutenant (1898)

Guards Captain with the renaming of the captains of the General Staff (1901)

Lieutenant Colonel (1904 )

Colonel (1907)

Major-General (1917)

Edited by JapanX

Looks like in this portrait

(as well as in this one )

he is wearing uniform of 1st life-dragoon Moscow regiment/1-го лейб-драгунского Московского полка (epaulets have red edging or at least it looks like red edging to me ...)

Example

Edited by JapanX

After graduating from Corps of Pages in 1894 - second lieutenant in the 7th horse field artillery battery.

Later transferred to the Guards Horse-Artillery Brigade (08.08.1898).

In 1901, he graduated from the Nicholas General Staff Academy (by 1st category).

In the 1902-1905 years was the chief officer for special assignments at the headquarters of the 1st Army Corps.

Commanded a squadron in the Life Guards Cuirassier Her Majesty's Regiment (1903-1904) (!!!)

Participant of the Russian-Japanese War. Wounded.

He served as a staff officer for special assignments at the headquarters of the 1st Army Corps (1905-1906), staff officer for assignments at the headquarters of the Guard troops and the St. Petersburg Military District (1906). From December 1906 to November 1908 was at the disposal of the Chief of General Staff.

Ranks

Guards Lieutenant (1898)

Guards Captain with the renaming of the captains of the General Staff (1901)

Lieutenant Colonel (1904 )

Colonel (1907)

Major-General (1917)

THANK YOU SO MUCH for this information! I am currently researching the Levkowitch collection, and I am very much handicapped by the fact that I don't read Russian. Where do you look up this information regarding promotions and awards, etc.? I need to state som kind of reference.

All the best

Jakob

Where do you look up this information regarding promotions and awards, etc.? I need to state som kind of reference.

http://pomnipro.ru/memorypage38810/biography

http://regiment.ru/bio/G/174.htm

In turn these are based on

Волков С.В. Офицеры российской гвардии. М. 2002

Список Генерального штаба. Исправлен на 01.06.1914. Петроград, 1914

Список Генерального штаба. Исправлен на 01.01.1916. Петроград, 1916

Список Генерального штаба. Исправлен на 03.01.1917. Петроград, 1917

Список Генерального штаба. Исправлен по 01.03.1918.//Ганин А.В. Корпус офицеров Генерального штаба в годы Гражданской войны 1917-1922 гг. М., 2010.

But what are the medals? I have never seen this photo of "my" Levkowitch before. Do you have a date?

I don't have exact date, but this photo was made after 1914, since last medal in his bar is 300 jubilee of Romanov dynasty. He also have this one http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/60445-red-cross-medal-for-the-russo-japanese-war-1904-1905/ in his bar. Of course one of these five medal should be R-J war medal.