News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

German Trikofabrik Shirts

I don't purchase much off of ebay these days as prices seem to be out of this world on nice things.

I actually rarely buy German (I mainly collect and study British), but recently have tried to close the gaps in some areas such as Patronentasche's buckles etc that I did not have and needed to match to tunics.

I can only say I've ever had extreme luck on two items.

The 1st was a 1903 dated Brodrick cap to the RFA that no-one knew what it was.

The 2nd is below:

A Great War German Trikofabrik (jersey) undershirt with owners marking tag.

8n7t.jpg

puzm.jpg

zc8v.jpg

I believe some of the buttons to be replacements such as the collar button.

I was the only bidder!!!!!??I actually did not expect to win--However, it was posted in an odd place--I was just looking for a crown 1915 button and this turned up in the search engine not under "uniforms".

It matches one I have had for decades--marked to the II Korps--- II Garniture:

r66v.jpg

Hope this is of interest.

Please post other examples of German shirts I'd like to see them.

Joe Sweeney

Chris,

The flash made the shirt whiter than it actually is.

However, of the few originals and photos of I've seen or handled, they appear this color.

Kraus actually says beige--if beige it is a very pale beige.

Shirts were also made in a cotton duck like cloth.

Joe Sweeney

I've got six German shirts, one of which is a navy issue, which I believe is quite scarce. I guess I have a fetish, because I also have British, French and Austrian examples. I also have matching issue Unterhosen for the German and Austrian sets.

Chip

I've got six German shirts, one of which is a navy issue, which I believe is quite scarce. I guess I have a fetish, because I also have British, French and Austrian examples. I also have matching issue Unterhosen for the German and Austrian sets.

Chip

Oh No!!!!--I'm not the only one who collects old underwear!!! I don't have the Austrian versions but I do have British and French. I also have Canadian made shirt but a not set of under drawers.

chip when you have a chance please post photos of your German stuff.

Joe Sweeney

Chip,

No intention of lifting the Etikett.

Thanks in advance for posting photo's of your Hemd and Unterhosen!!!

The second Trikot hemd I posted above also had these markings:

5wfu.jpg

I'm assuming 2nd Bavarian Corps based on the manufacturer but I know that might not be the case. I think it is 2nd Garnature issue and this shirt has all its original buttons.

I do not have a pair of Trikot Unterhose but the seem to pop-up more often than the hemd.

I do have two pairs of the 1910 Koperunterhosen. These seem to be fairly commonly encountered too.

The first is dated 1914 to the XIII Korps GR 123.

tjiq.jpg

w1vn.jpg

And to frame the War a 1918 dated pair:

tad9.jpg

You wouldn't happen to have a pair of Fusslappen or socks that you could post photos of???

Joe Sweeney

• 2 weeks later...

Joe,

Unfortunately, no Fußlappen or socks. I don't recall ever seeing any Fußlappen. I finally dug out my shirts and Hosen, it took half a day to get them out, set up and photograph them, put them away and then download and edit the photos! Whew!. I ran out of steam before I got to the Hosen. I photographed my army shirts, my navy shirts and then my Austrian shirt.

Here are the first few.

I know this is somewhat off subject, but here is an Austrian issue linen shirt. I have the matching Hosen too, marked from the same maker.

I will add more of my German shirts as time permits.

Chip,

Your effort is much appreciated. Your second Trikothemd is the spitting image of the second one I have in the photos above down to the off set BAII mark and size.

I wonder if these two were originally sourced together?

Take care

Joe Sweeney

Your second Trikothemd is the spitting image of the second one I have in the photos above down to the off set BAII mark and size.

I wonder if these two were originally sourced together?

Joe,

Due to their unissued condition, I would say that is a pretty good bet. I got mine in a trade with Tony Meldahl in 1991. He had brought a bunch of stuff back from Germany. Perhaps he had more than one?

Chip

Hoss,

I don't think "Trikofabrik" is actually a word in German. The shirts were made of Trikot (jersey), but "fabrik" does not mean fabric.

The other cotton material that shirts were made from was called "Körper", which in German translates to twill, but we would just call it cotton linen.

Unterhosen were also made from both materials (weaves).

Chip

Edited by Chip

Thanks Chip

Joe thanks for showing

Have you not ever had the chance to own a pr of issue socks? I have but fainted at the price they're not much different to early TR issue I thought at the time.

I'll try to take some pics of my 'undies' this week. :lol: they are kind of an awkward collectible think I'll put mine on a mannequin.

Eric

• 1 month later...