News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Looks ok to me too. Might want to ask the medals guys about the badge as it's included in the sale.

Hello Simon

The sale includes the badge and a pic of a sailor . The badge is unmarked and without pin/hinge

Could you kindly give me information about KzS Otto Schellong ?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I will soon have the same kind of document at home :-)

My question is why men on the destroyer Richard Beitzen got the destroyer's badge?

As I've found out RB secured the home base for the home coming ships during the Norwegian campaign. But was that enough to get the award?

Can that kind of information be found in Foreman's award books?

Regards, Stefan

Hello,

here are the same document for the uboat ace Kapit?nleutnant Alfred Eick!

Alfred Eick began his naval career in April 1937. Later he served for more than a year on the destroyer Richard Beitzen, and he undertook 16 patrols in the first year of the war. I think 16 patrols with RB are enough to get the award!

In November 1940 he transferred to the U-boat force, where he accompanied U-176 on her first two patrols.

In May 1943 he became commander of U-510. After a successful patrol in Brazilian waters, U-510 left Lorient on her second patrol assigned as one of the Monsun boats. Eick operated for a few months in the Indian Ocean before heading back in January 1945 with a load of important goods (tin, quinine, etc.) on board. After being supplied with oil southeast of Madagascar by Krvkpt. Oestens U-861 (who was short of fuel herself), U-510 ran out of fuel in the North Atlantic, but managed to reach the U-boat base at St. Nazaire in France at the end of April 1945 (at that time the base was still in German hands).

Alfred Eick was in French captivity from May 1945 to July 1947. He then studied business management at the University of Hamburg and worked later as a tax adviser.

• 3 months later...

Kapit?nleutnant Alfred Eick

Hi Monsun,

Great document and photo you have there for Alfred Eick.

I was surprised to see, the document you show here - for sale last friday at Niemann's 2 o'clock update, small group with Soldbuch, this Zerst?rer doc, doc for EK.2, and the large award doc for the DGiG......there was also such a signed black and white repro photo included.

yours

Eric-Jan Bakker

I was surprised to see, the document you show here - for sale last friday at Niemann's 2 o'clock update, small group with Soldbuch, this Zerst?rer doc, doc for EK.2, and the large award doc for the DGiG......there was also such a signed black and white repro photo included.

Monsun: I belive I missed your reply. Yes, that should be enough for the Destryer's badge :)

Too bad you had to sell/trade it away.

Cheers,

Stefan