News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bavaria - Landwehr Dienstauszeichnung 2. Klasse 1913-18

Never seen one of these in this zinky colour. They're usually a nice copper colour. I don't know if Bavaria was like Prussia and stopped awarding these after 1914, or if awards continued throughout the war.

It's not zinc. It's bronze, but very, very dark. Maybe the black background is making it look "blackish" instead of bronze. Let me try another background color

It's not zinc. It's bronze, but very, very dark. Maybe the black background is making it look "blackish" instead of bronze. Let me try another background color

Looks even darker and less bronze with a gray background. My scanner's colors I think are off... (I only paid $25 for it! Maybe discovering why... :whistle: )

I think they continued to award them during the war. as I recall Adolf, who was a war volunteer, got his LS medal in 1918/19? Howver, in looking at lots of Bavarian Militaerpasses I don't recall seeing LS awards until demobilization. Chris? Joe Imwalle? you guys have the docs...whadda you think?

Edited by Ulsterman

The Bavarian long service awards available to regulars/Volunteers continued to be awarded throughout WW1 with war years service counting double.

These medals being DA3 9yrs service, DA2 12yrs service and DA1 15yrs service.

However Landwehr awards were different.

The LD2 was not associated with time served, it was eligible to any Reservist/Landwehr/Draftee AFTER service in a war. So you could serve 6mnts abroad with a rifle and get the LD2. (Only AFTER the event)

Unfortunately they never honoured this rule AFTER WW1 and no LD2's were awarded, presumably because there was no cash to manufacture several thousand medals.

Regulars/Volunteers were NOT eligible for this award.

The LD1 however was associated with time served and is a 20yr award, BUT war years NEVER counted as double and you had to serve the full twenty to get this one, hence the relative scarcity.

Best regards

Pete

The Bavarian long service awards available to regulars/Volunteers continued to be awarded throughout WW1 with war years service counting double.

These medals being DA3 9yrs service, DA2 12yrs service and DA1 15yrs service.

However Landwehr awards were different.

The LD2 was not associated with time served, it was eligible to any Reservist/Landwehr/Draftee AFTER service in a war. So you could serve 6mnts abroad with a rifle and get the LD2. (Only AFTER the event)

Unfortunately they never honoured this rule AFTER WW1 and no LD2's were awarded, presumably because there was no cash to manufacture several thousand medals.

The LD1 however was associated with time served and is a 20yr award, BUT war years NEVER counted as double and you had to serve the full twenty to get this one, hence the relative scarcity.

Oh?

"actually, this is almost a word for word quote of Rick Lundstroms' ...but. I'd like to see the regulations. After the monarchy fell the regulations changed and there were a large number of medals still available for awards. we know this from the manufacturing inventories. .I recall Tony Colson saying something years ago about Bavaria issuing LD medals and counting war time service, including police service and time served in the Freikorps ! ! Jim and Chris have the largest collection of Bavarian Militaerpasses I know of but maybe someone

r can have a look at a few Landwehr files on Ancestry? it's an interesting question".

Edited by Ulsterman