News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French Croix de Guerre - Unit Citation

• 3 weeks later...

No, the British have battle honours - and we won't get into which are harder to earn, thanks, gentlemen - and on occasion British regiments have been awarded foreign honours of a similar nature. For example, some British units and at least one Canadian one were given an American Presidential Unit Citation for services in Korea and I'm pretty sure that British units have been similarly honoured by the French.

Hope that helps.

Peter

Hi Peter,

thanks for answer.

Meanwhile I have found one unit who earned a fourragère CdG 1914-18, that means CdG with palm twice.

Section sanitaire automobile anglaise n° 2 de la 72e division d’infanterie ( 15/05/1919 )

Do they wear the fourragere?

Does anybody know the English name so I can make a google search?

I think that several units earned the CdG with stars or only one palm.

Michael

Michael,

I'm not sure that this was a British unit, as the 72nd Division was a home service division, and was disbanded in April 1918. There was no American 72nd Division.

I think this must be the French 72e Division.

I believe that this was a British volunteer ambulance unit attached to the French Army. not a British Army unit - see http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=140788

They would not have had any post-war existence, so the wearing of the fourragere is not a question.

Michael

Edited by Michael Johnson

I agree with Monsieur Johnson; this is a French Division. The Section sanitaire automobile anglaise n° 2 was an English volunteer ambulance section (possibly associated with the Red Cross) in the French 72e division d’infanterie. This type of unit was common; I've seen references to other Section sanitaire automobile anglaise in French divisions.

Do they wear the fourragere?

Does anybody know the English name so I can make a google search?

As for the fourragère; English usage prefers the original French for this word. So, you could use fourragère in any Google search.

However, I do not believe British military personnel wore the fourragère on their uniforms; even if their unit may have received the distinction from the French Government.

As the Section sanitaire automobile anglaise n° 2 was not a British military unit, it could be possible that its members did wear the fourragère. Although, I've not seen a photo of Red Cross personnel in uniform with fourragère. That doesn't mean it wasn't done, only that I've not seen one in the couple hundred Red Cross photos I've seen so far. Something I will keep an eye out for in the future.

Edited by IrishGunner

https://archive.org/stream/fordauntlessfran00biny#page/n7/mode/2up

Laurence Binyon's "For Dauntless France" is the best source for volunteers serving with the French.

The unit would have returned to the U.K. by the time the fourragere was gazetted in 1919.

Michael

Edited by Michael Johnson

• 2 weeks later...