News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Seeking Information Regarding Wilhelm von Bothmer, Königlich Preußischen Oberst 1869-1922

In May 1914 he was a Major and Railway Line Commandant in Munster (responsible for coordinating military rail traffic in his area of responsibility).

At mobilization, he became commander of the 1st Batl. Reserve Infantry Regiment 55. I have no other information on his wartime assignments.

On 30.08.1919 he retired from the army as a colonel (promoted on 18.12.1917) with permission to wear the uniform of infantry regiment 91, which he wore continuously since entering the army in 1885 until assuming command of the battalion in RIR 55.

Andy

I have his full date of birth but not his date of death. Do you happen to have that information?

Andy

Hi Andy,

found on ancestry:

Wilhelm Friedrich Franz Karl von Bothmer

Kgl. preuß. Oberst

Geburt: 09. Nov 1869 - Brandenburg an der Havel

Tod: 12. Feb 1922 - Berlin

Eheschließung: 25. Jun 1910 - Rentweinsdorf

Ehepartner: Marie Freiin von und zu Egloffstein

... is this the right one!?

Best regards,

Jens

Edited by KIR

All,

I have a correction to make. the information I gave for Wilhelm actually applies to Walther. Here is the correct info for Wilhelm:

At mobilization, he was a member of the administration of the Kriegs Akademie. Not certain what he did between Aug 1914 and October 1916, but on 03.10.1916 became commander of Infantry regiment 176 and held that position until February 1918. He was promoted to LTC on 22.03.1918.

Apologies for the error.

Andy

All,

I have a correction to make. the information I gave for Wilhelm actually applies to Walther. Here is the correct info for Wilhelm:

At mobilization, he was a member of the administration of the Kriegs Akademie. Not certain what he did between Aug 1914 and October 1916, but on 03.10.1916 became commander of Infantry regiment 176 and held that position until February 1918. He was promoted to LTC on 22.03.1918.

Apologies for the error.

Andy

This makes much more sense! Right now, I have an account that places him in command of 3rd Company, Garde Jäeger Reserve Battalion, in late 1914. Is there any way to possibly verify this?

Edited by Blackhorse