News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A curious artillery officer's shoulder strap...or is it?

This came up for auction a week or so ago. At the time, I found the crossed cannons interesting because I had not seen those type before. I asked Chip for some advice and he told me that the "crossed cannon barrels normally indicate an official of the Technische Institut der Artillerie. The board underlay for such an official is carmine red (karmesinrot)." We were both confused by the blue underlay.

So, I put a bid in for around $20 bucks and surprisingly, I won the auction. So, for $20 bucks we get to kick this around and hopefully someone can give some more information in what type artillery unit this Hauptmann would have served. (The auction called it a Leutnant, but it's easy to see there is a missing pip.)

Comments/thoughts? (The photo is the seller's...my Epson scanner is on sabbatical since I had scanner driver conflicts that remain unresolved.)

$_57.JPG

Hello IG!

Pietsch, Vol.II, page 290 says ("Offiziere der technischen Institute")

"These officers were à la suite of their units, so they wore their uniforms. Since 1902 (14.5.) they had a new uniform. Infantry uniform with swedish cuffs, bright-blue epaulettes and shoulder boards!

There were crossed rifles for infantry and crossed canons for artillery

• 3 weeks later...