News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Interesting South African group of miniatures

Pictured is a group of miniatures comprising QSA, KSA, Natal 1906, WW! trio and Colonial Auxiliary Forces LSM together with a SWB # SA4152

I thought finding the wearer of these medals would be straight forward however the SWB records at The National Archives in the UK stop at around 400 odd.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I have purchased Tamplin's book but this only gives the date of gazetting and the SA gazette is not searchable online.

summers

This is a relatively rare combination of medals, but it will take a list of the South African recipients of the SWB coming to light to identify the man with certainty.

Failing that, as a starting point, it might be helpful to know the identity of the clasps on the QSA. Even then, an assumption will be necessary to narrow down possibilities (i.e. the QSA/KSA were awarded to a Colonial, rather than Imperial soldier). The QSA/KSA/Natal Rebellion combinations suggests a man from Natal, but there were some men from the Cape and Transvaal who also had these three medals.

Shown below is the photo of a similar medal grouping that belonged to a part-time (i.e. "Auxiliary") soldier from Natal.

Regards

Brett

Hello Summers - welcome to GMIC. We will look forward to seeing other items from your collection.

The combination for Boer War, 1906 and then WW1 is not an uncommon one and although you have the

number to follow-up on, you may find this set difficult to identify. It will be interesting to see if other members

can help in the identification. Mervyn

Hi,

lets not overlook the fact that the man may not have been entitled to the KSA?

If I am not mistaken, you had to be a woman to get the KSA without a bar....

So either this person got QSA and KSA... but put whatever miniatures he could find on the bar, irrespective of the bars, or he had a QSA with the bars, and added a KSA on his own.... makes identification more difficult....

A number of Natal Policemen did indeed receive the QSA with two date bars. They were mostly recruits from Britain who arrived after the Natal Campaign was over. None were awarded the KSA, with or without clasps.

If the miniature group did belong to a Natal Policeman with a self-awarded KSA, he would have had to leave the NP shortly after the Boer War and enlist as a part-time soldier in one of Natal's Volunteer Regiments (e.g. Natal Carbineers, Natal Mounted Rifles, Durban Light Infantry). It was men of the Volunteer Regiments who qualified for the Colonial Auxiliary Forces LS Medal. Policemen were not "auxiliary" servicemen. Instead, they could qualify for the award of the Permanent Forces of the Empire Beyond the Seas LSGC Medal. An example of a medal group to a man who served in the Natal Police and transferred to the SA Mounted Rifles in 1913 is shown below.

Regards

Brett

Problem with miniature groups is that many SA miniature groups have the standard British type. I have seen this where both sets are together the full-sized bilingual, miniature standard. While a bilingual VM will tell us that he was definitely SA a British type will not discount it.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...