News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Group to the Naval Officer who Port Arthur was named after

paul wood

The Group of medals to Rear Admiral William Arthur, who port Arthur is named after is to appear The Gibson Collection for auction by Webb's in New Zealand on 9 April (lot 1)the group includes the Chinese gold medal personally inscribed to him www.webbs.co.nz

All the best,

Paul

CB,

The British group without the Chinese award is worth the estimate in pounds rather than NZ dollars. So it seems you value the gold medal at less than the scrap. I already have a client of mine who would sell his soul to Satan if he ended up getting it at the estimate.

Paul

I already have a client of mine who would sell his soul to Satan

Btw, what is current market price for faleristik soul in South London?

Friend of mine needs this info ASAP! ff62fd5af51c4c2ffee9b4fb794b2f2d.gif

Edited by JapanX

Complete collection of Army of India medals to Indian recipients, all bars and combinations represented.

It's a deal, it's a steal, it's the sale of the freaking century!

Friend of mine 217e84943fe1f659e79feaef909f2498.gif will contact you shortly.

Thanks for the info and images Paul and Nick. It certainly is a beauty and shares some design elements with the "Bao Xing" medals that were the precursor to the Double Dragons.

Let's see what this goes for.

• 1 month later...

The medal itself was described as Chinese First Class Gold Medal of Pao Hsing, 36mm, gold, centre set with a coral cabochon

Some info about Mr. W. Cartwright ;)

Mr. William Cartwright, born July 1847, the son of Dr. John Cartwright, of Colne, Wiltshire; joined the Royal Navy and sailed to China as a Midshipman in the 'Lay-Osborn' Flotilla, 1863; upon the dis-banding of the Flotilla joined the Chinese Imperial Maritime Customs Service, August 1863, and served in various capacities at Foochow, Amoy, Taiwan, Canton, Tamsui, and Hankow; served as Chinese Secretary on three occasions, 1875-76, 1887-89, and 1889-93; awarded the Chinese Gold Medal of Pao Hsing, First Class in 1868; appointed Commissioner of Customs, January 1873. Cartwright retired in May 1895, and died, March 1911.

Edited by JapanX