News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown shell

Bill Harris

Are there any ordnance experts among us?

This shell has been in my family for longer than anybody can remember. My grandmother was using it as a doorstop when she gave it to me. It had been painted black and had a label "Cartouche de Guerre 1914-1918" on it (her family were Francophone Ontarians until the last generation or so). I took off the label and stripped the paint, and was left with what you see here.

The shell weighs about four kilos. It is about 7cm in diameter and 26 cm long. I've tried to find something like it online but everything I come up with has some small difference that makes me wonder exactly what I've got here. Any pointers?

• 6 months later...

Bill - a lot will depend on what is stamped on the base of the shell. This should tell us the Country and size of the ordnance

that it was used for. From your measurements I would say that it could be a 3 inch light howitzer - or, perhaps a shrapnel

shell, although it looks to have a thick casing. Brian, nice to see some of these unanswered questions re-surfaced. Mervyn

As Mervyn wrote, if there are any markings that could be a big help. French 75mm, German 7.7cm, or something else... Difficult to say without finding the exact same shell in a photo somewhere...

Here's the best info I can provide. Doesn't give any conclusive identification, but does provide some information.

http://www.passioncompassion1418.com/decouvertes/english_fusees_munitions.html