News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Faust! Staats-Theater Berlin Sept 34

Hello Jock.

Thanks for showing this. Most names here as acting in the several plays listed were very prominent actors already at the time indicated ( 1934 ) as you know.

Even more so later during a time when some movies received State Honors and not only those we would today consider propaganda. Some actors received titles which gave them special distinctions and honors which did not sit well after 1945.

Having been exposed to some movies prior to 1945 through mandatory attendance and at an impressionable young age I must say that even outright propaganda was not heavy-handed or such. Sunday mornings were dedicated to movie screenings for Hitler Youth and its branches, of movies deemed suitable for young folks. Dr. Goebbels after all knew his business.

I also saw Emmy Sonnemann listed which should ring a bell with some readers here.

Interesting reading.

Bernhard H. Holst

Edited by Bernhard H.Holst

I wonder how many of the cast (if any) had their careers ended by the Nazi regime, whether through seeing the way the wind was blowing and leaving Germany or staying and falling foul of the regime through whatever reason?

I wonder how many of the cast (if any) had their careers ended by the Nazi regime, whether through seeing the way the wind was blowing and leaving Germany or staying and falling foul of the regime through whatever reason?

Hello Kevin.

The several names I could read without straining my eyesight too much remained in Germany. I believe personalities who left had a more marketable occupation/profession such as movie or theater director. Actors were more restricted because of language limitations . Exception Marlene Dietrich and some few others.

Bernhard H. Holst

No different to the sacking of the Commanding General when the tories/libs took power as he was 'too politicised' is that even a word? What he was, was right and we shall see that in the fullness of time no doubt as history marches on but always seems to repeat itself. Victims of timing perhaps? Who cares, these clowns won't be there next year and it all starts again? Same for the ones that backed the wrong horse back then too perhaps?

Jock :)