News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Partisan Jambyn Dendev

Bob

Something underway to reach me but wanted to share the background info already.

A tiny document group related to Partisan Jambyn Dendev and consisting of an Order and Medal Booklet listing two Honorary Medals of Combat (one awarded in 1942 and another in 1956). The booklet has his original photo and is in great condition. His Partisans booklet is missing unfortunately nor are the medals themselves included.

There is info on Dendev in the 3 volume Partisan memoirs book series posted elsewhere (volume 1 page 150). Also, some background documentation was able to be uncovered:

- The ukaz awarding him and some other partisans with orders and medals in 1942

- His request to receive the partisan's pensions in 1955 and 1956. These requests and also recommendations from the provincial government for the partisan's pension shed light on his living conditions when he got really old.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_05_2014/post-679-0-31880000-1401147174.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_05_2014/post-679-0-81530100-1401147179.jpg

His bio from the 3 volume Partisan book

=========================

JAMBYN DENDEV

(1898-1960)

He was born in a place named Shorov gol at the former Erdenevan county of Tusheetkhan province (current Tsagaannuur county of Selenge province). Dendev lived with his parents until the age of 16. Up to 1921, he was engaged in small farming. In 1921, he enrolled the People’s partisan formations and took part in battles against the remnants of White Guards in western and Central Mongolia. He was discharged from the military service in 1921 and raised animals until 1960.

In 1921, I voluntarily enrolled the troops of Sumya Count whose unit was a part of the People’s partisan formation. The commander of our regiment was Putsag. The Commander of our sub-unit of ten soldiers was Chultem. I recall that Sharav, Dugarsuren, Damba and Dovdon were in my sub-unit.

At first, eleven soldiers under the command of Kh. Choibalsan left the Choron River to fight the White Guards. We passed through the Zelter border point and entered the territory of Russia. In Russia, we reached a place called Gedee Nuga where we were trained in shooting, sword-hitting, ambushing, retreating and marching for a about one month. After finishing the training, we returned to Mongolia and chased the White Guards at a Modon Khul pass. We beat the White Guards and confiscated their horses and other animal herds. After this battle, we traveled to Rashaant Mount in the Mergen Count’s county of Sainnoyonkhan province and we fought with the White Guards there. Choibalsan and Puntsag commanded the Mongolian troops at the Rashaant battles. Red Army regiment of some 600 soldiers commanded by Davydov and Shetinkin assisted us at the Rashaant battle. There were some 300 Mongolian troops that fought against the White Guards at the Rashaant Mount. We lost twelve Mongolians in this battle. I personally knew six of the killed. I recall Sambuugiin Genden of Nomohan province, hunter Sodnomdash of Khyaran and Norov of Erdenevan county who were killed in the battle. I forgot the names of others. We lost the battle at the Rashaant battle. Out of twelve carts with mounted machine guns, eleven were damaged and abandoned. We had to retreat to Russia where we continued to fight with the White Guards. After numerous skirmishes in Russia, we returned to Mongolia and stationed temporarily at the Nomonkhan monastery. Our unit was summoned to fight the White Guards camped at the forest at Dukh Mount. The Dukh forest is situated on the northern bank of Selenge river on the border of Ahai Count and Erdene count’s territory. I learned that some 200 Mongolian troops and more than 500 Russian White Guards fought against each other there. The battle lasted for three days. Choibalsan and Puntsag commanded the Mongolian troops there. I headed a squad of ten soldiers. We have defeated the White Guards at Dukh forest. Two airplanes from Red Army assisted us in this battle. After the battle, our unit returned to Vangiin town (current Bulgan town). I got sick right after the battle. After recuperation, I took part in two battles against the White Guards at a place called Zulegtei in Janjinvan’s county.

Edited by Bob

And here 2 ukaz - one for each of his HMC awardings

=================================================================

First, the 1942 one

July 20, 1942

Additional decree of the Presidium of State Small Khural of the Mongolian People’s Republic (#39)

On awarding the partisans of 1921 People’s revolution for their dedication to the causes of revolution

On the occasion of the 21st anniversary of great people’s revolution, to award the partisans of 1921 People’s revolution that directly took part in founding our People’s Republic and revolutionary government. The partisans listed below are the comrades who voluntarily enrolled the partisan formations led by our great leaders Sukhbaatar, Choibalsan and Magsarjav in 1921 for the cause of expelling the external enemies and bringing peaceful life to our Motherland.

The Presidium of State Small Khural of the Mongolian People’s Republic decrees to award:

One. The Order of the Red Banner of Military Valor

Partisan Jigmid Gendenjamts, Herder of the herds of the Military Ministry, the resident of Bagh 21, Sub-district 5, Ulaanbaatar.

Two. The Order of the Polar Star

Partisan Gongor Bat-Ochir, Tax inspector of the Ministry of Finance, the resident of Bagh 5, Sub-district 2, Ulaanbaatar

Partisan Choijil Sandag, Veterinary of the Ulaanbaatar city administration, the resident of Bagh 16, Sub-district 1, Ulaanbaatar

Three. The Honorary Medal of Combat

1. Partisan Dondov Dendev, Chairman of Hairhandulaan county, Uvurkhangai province
    2. Partisan Dorj Damba, Employee of a Bakery Cooperative, Altanbulag county, Selenge province
    3. Partisan Tseren Tohnoo, Resident of Bagh #9, Tsagaannuur county, Selenge province
    4. Partisan Bumba Genden, Employee of a Cooperative, Orhonshaamar county, Selenge province
    5. Partisan Mendbayar Ishdorj, Resident of Bagh #2, Tsagaannuur county, Selenge province
    6. Partisan Mend Seleejav, Resident of Bagh #9, Orhonshaamar county, Selenge province
    7. Partisan Vanchig Ganbaa, Resident of Bagh #1, Orhonshaamar county, Selenge province
    8. Partisan Bazar Maidar, Resident of Bagh #9, Orhonshaamar county, Selenge province
    9. Partisan Jamba Dendev, Resident of Bagh #5, Tsagaannuur county, Selenge province
    10. Partisan Khas Choimbol, Resident of Bagh #9, Orhonshaamar county, Selenge province
    11. Partisan Tumen Altangerel, Officer of Rear and Supplies, Ministry of Internal Affairs

=======================

Second, the one awarded in 1956

DECREE OF THE PRESIDIUM OF THE STATE GREAT KHURAL

OF THE MONGOLIAN PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC

July 5, 1956. # 78, Ulaanbaatar

On awarding the partisans, who actively participated in 1921 People’s Revolution, with Orders and Medals of the Mongolian People’s Republic.

The Presidium of the State Great Khural decrees:

On the occasion of the 35th anniversary of the Mongolian People’s Revolution, to award the partisans who actively participated in 1921 People’s Revolution with the orders and medals of the Mongolian People’s Republic.

One. The Order of Sukhbaatar

1. Sukhbaatar Yanjmaa Precinct #5, Sukhbaatar soum, Sukhbaatar aimag

2. Puntsag Togtokh Precinct #6, Bayanzurkh soum, Tuv aimag

3. Doorov Dashzeveg Precinct #10, Luus soum, Dundgobi aimag

4. Dorj Badarch Precinct #10, University district, Ulaanbaatar

5. Amar Myagmar Precinct #5, Bayanzurkh soum, Tuv aimag

Two. The Order of the Red Banner of Combat Valor

1. Dechin Dendev Precinct #13, University district, Ulaanbaatar

2. Choijil Sandag Precinct #…, Uliastai district, Ulaanbaatar

3. Yuruult Mangaalam Precinct #10, Bayanchandmani soum, Tuv aimag

4.Sengee Tsevegmed Precinct #4, University district, Ulaanbaatar

5.Luvsan Sharav Precinct #11, Tarialan soum, Khuvsgul aimag

6. Choijil Gonchig Precinct #7, Amgalaanbaatar district, Ulaanbaatar

7. Perlei Dashnyam Aldarkhaan soum, Zavkhan aimag

8. Tseveg Luvsantseveg Precinct #3, Orhonshaamar soum, Selenge aimag

Three. The Order of the Combat Valor

78. Namdag Jambal Precinct #6, Orhonshaamar soum, Selenge aimag

79. Dorj Jamts Precinct #4, Undur Ulaan soum, Arhangai aimag

80. Dash Uvgunhuu Precinct #4, Altanbulag soum, Selenge aimag

81. Jambal Tudev Precinct #1, Deren soum, Dundgobi aimag

82. Choidon Damchaa Precinct #8, Batsumber soum, Tuv aimag

83. Khandjav Banzarzeveg Precinct #3, Sukhbaatar district, Ulaanbaatar

84. Aj Sanjaasuren Precinct #1, Naran soum, Zavhan aimag

85. Tunj Bat-Ochir Choibalsan town, Choibalsan aimag

86. Mend Lamjav Ulaanbaatar

87. Gonchigjav Tsend-Ayush Precinct #3, Batsumber soum, Tuv aimag

89. Sumya Dagva Precinct #8, Hutag-Undur soum, Bulgan aimag

90. Dorj Dendev Precinct #3, Orhonshaamar soum, Selenge aimag

91. Myatav Yarinbaatar Precinct #10, Bayanchandmani soum, Tuv aimag

92. Bayaryn Gendenbaldyr Precinct #1, Bayantsagaan soum, Tuv aimag

93. Anjilyn Yuruult Precinct #7, Khalkhgol soum, Choibalsan aimag

94. Ulzii Jadambaa Precinct #2, Zuunselbe district, Ulaanbaatar

95. Tseren Dagva Precinct #5, Batsumber district, Ulaanbaatar

96. Mandah Zagdbazar Precinct #2, Baruunselbe district, Ulaanbaatar

97. Yondon Luvsanperenlei Precinct #7, Baruunselbe district, Ulaanbaatar

98. Baljinyam Dashzeveg Jargalant soum, Zavkhan aimag

99. Damdin Sodnomdarjaa Precinct #8, Choibalsan town, Choibalsan aimag

100. Tseren Zagd Precinct #3, Batsumber soum, Tuv aimag

101. Tseren Jalbuu Precinct #2, Bulgan soum, Bulgan aimag

102. Vanchinsuren Luvsandanzan Precinct #3, Buyant soum, Khovd aimag

103. Mash Tsedev Precinct #3, Yuruu soum, Selenge aimag

Four. Honorary Medal of Combat

60. Luvsan Tudev Selenge soum, Bulgan aimag

61. Jamts Dashdavaa Precinct #3, Khutag-Undur soum, Bulgan aimag

62. Sambuu Dagva Precinct #5, Shaamar soum, Selenge aimag

63. Tsembel Batdelger Precinct #19, Chingeltei district, Ulaanbaatar

64.Jantsan Choimbol Precinct #1, Shaamar soum, Selenge aimag

65. Gombo Sanjid Precinct #1, Jargalant soum, Zavkhan aimag

66.Jamba Dendev Precinct #2, Altanbulag soum, Selenge aimag

67. Namsrai Altangerel Precinct #1, Darhan soum, Selenge aimag

68. Luvsandorj Damdindorj Precinct #1, Shaamar soum, Selenge aimag

69. Luvsanravdan Myagmar Precinct #7, Buren soum, Khuvsgul aimag

70. Gombo Damdinsuren Arbulag soum, Khuvsgul aimag

71.Lonj Chultem-Osor Precinct #8, Worker’s district, Ulaanbaatar

And now, perhaps most interesting, an exchange of letters relating to a request for a Partisan's pension

First, roughly a year before receiving his second HMC, Dendev wrote this (translation of a hand written note)

============================

March 2, 1955

To: The Chairman of the Presidium of State Great Khural.

This letter was submitted through the Presidium of Provincial khural deputies of Altanbulag city, Selenge province

I am partisan Dendev, residing at Bagh #2 of Altanbulag city, requesting your attention to my living conditions. I am unable to work and have no any livestock and property to support my living. A goat bought by me in 1937 has increased in numbers and reached 17 heads but the by-products from the goatherd go for fulfilling the annual cashmere quotas and nothing is left to support my family. In recent years the herd number has decreased due to shortage of fodder and hay. In 1953, I bought a cow using my pension funds but it died because of illness last winter. This made our life even worse.

I have been incapacitated for the last decade. The life of my spouse and myself is getting worse. Therefore, I request one time partisan pension.

Serial number of Partisan’s Booklet is 443

Dendev

Edited by Bob

Then a translation of a hand written note also obtained from documents - presumably from one of the bureaucrats in the authorities

----------------------

Had-written note

Jambyn Dendev

Selenge province

Altanbulag town

Bagh # 2

Partisan booklet #443

Family members: 2

Dendev is 68 years old

Spouse is 60 years old

Ownership: One horse

Elder son Sodnomdarjaa is serving 10-year prison sentence since 1952.

Dendev received 600 Tugrugs as an extra pension in 1955.

Then a letter from one of the local authorities regarding the request:

To the Secretary of the Presidium of State Great Khural of the Mongolian People’s Republic

March 31, 1956

Reference # 282

Partisan Jambyn Dendev, 68, has no private livestock and is incapable. He lives with his wife. His son Rentsen has many children and has no private livestock/. Rentsen has a low paid work and is unable to help his parents. Taking into account the above facts, we support the request for the pension. The letter of request is attached.

Chairman of Executive Administration of Khural Deputies of Selnge province Surenhorloo (signed and stamped)

Hand-written: 600 Tugrugs

And a final note from Dendev, translated

========================

(Hand-written letter)

To the Secretariat of the Presidium of State Great Khural of the Mongolian People’s Republic

Request submitted through the Executive Office of the Bagh and Khoroo Khural deputies

I am partisan Jamba Dendev, currently residing at Bagh #2 of Altanbulag town of Selenge province, is 68 years of age. I have no private livestock. Because of health conditions, I am unable to work. I live with my spouse who is also sick. I live next to my son Rentsen’s household and my son has been taking care of us. However, my son Rentsen, who heads a large family, is of little help to us. Our living condition is poor. Taking into consideration the situation we are in, I request a partisan’s pension for 1956.

Partisan Jambyn Dendev

Partisan’s booklet #443

May 20, 1956.

• 3 months later...

Below a translation of a copy of the registry for the Honorary Medal of Combat awarded to partisan Dendev.

Registry of awardees compiled by Presidium of State Small Khural of the

Mongolian People’s Republic

(1926-1943)

#

Full Name of the awardee

Bazar Maidar

Jambyn Dendev

Hasyn Choimbol

Social Status/ gender

Arat, Male

Arat, Male

Arat, Male