News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

More common is the Aluminium one that fits in the WW2 Mess tin...

The LICO box had shoe brushes, clothes brushes, Toothbrush, Razor, soap, small candles, matches, sewing stuff etc.... All packed to waste no space and fitting into the mess tin, probably wrapped in a cloth...

Hello Chris

I didn't know they existed W1 of course now I want one, I had the latter one once virtually complete made of aluminum still had boot polish in one of the tins.

Eric.

I was not sure what it was when I saw it... and a friend told me it fits in the messtin... me being an idiot I grabbed a WW2 Messtin... of course it did not fit... so I almost did not buy it... then he told me to try a WW1 tim (I forgot they were bigger... Perfect fit.

I have never seen one before... So i am a happy boy...

I stand corrected sorry now I remember it was called MIca thanks Jock, different quite large wouldn't fit in a mess tin, no way I thought it some sort of barracks thing and give it away,used to do things like that back then. Chris whats the biggie about it fitting in a mess kit lol! anyway nice.

Eric

Chris may I suggest they are interwar I found others. unless they are officer gear in any event they appear to be highly collectible judging by prices especially if they have contents.

Eric

images courtesy of bunker millitaria

That one is indeed nice!

For the moment I dont think there is any way of knowing for sure if WW1 or between the wars, simply because we cannot compare them to anything official (WW1 issue items, things to pack in Tornister etc)

From what i understand, they were private purchase items, for whatever rank, but tailored to fit the messtin... but I dont think officers had a messtin... (The messtin theory I think must be right as the WW2 ones fit in the WW2 messtin.)

The one I have had all disgusting rests of grease, polish and soap, and a fossilized Prussian crown button in one of the little metal boxes with what looked like a hard ball of earwax.

Those are cool pics!! Mine is half complete then...

Even the "Lico" name looks like it is done in a later font (1920s-30s). I'd be surprised if these were around during WWI.

Chip

Hi,

I will be the lawyer here... I dont know if the box is innocent (Pre 1918) or Guilty (Post 1918) but I will defend neutrally.

It seems the coumpany LICO was a Dresden company that used to make Drugstore articles, Cleaning products etc.

Going through a section on Reklam Marken from 1900 onwards I see similar fonts as part of Company Logos, (Although not this exact one)

If pre or post 1918, I am ussuming this was a Drugstore article.

For me the door is still open to it being pre 1918, with its WW1 paint color, the other door to post 1918 is also open... I will continue to look...

• 2 weeks later...