News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Immaculate Conception of Vila Viçosa - Strange maker G. Wolfers

Hello,

I'm quite new to this hobby, collecting for 1 year mostly Romanian Orders and Medals.

Today I have stumbled upon what I think is a portuguese order of villa vicosa, but the maker is quite unusual, I really don't find a similar one.

The makers name is Belgian jeweler G.Wolfers.

The patina is there, but can you help me with more information?

Thank you in advance,

Sorin

Guillaume [G] Wolfers [& Cie.] of Brussels produced award insignia from the 1850s-1960s{?}. The company still exists and manufactures/sells silverware, jewlery and associated items. Currently known as Wolfers Frères, the following websites have some information regarding this firm: http://bijoutierwolfers.be/fr?WT.mc_id=dp_ and http://www.adin.be/en/explanation-on-wolfers-by-adin-antique-vintage-and-estate-jewelry.htm.

Jacobs' Court Jewellers of the World provides the firm's history connected with decorations and names some of the items produced by it. Reportedly Fibru [later Fibru-Fisch] and/or DeGreef obtained dies and other material related to awards and decorations when Wolfers exited the medal business.

In addition to Belgian, Wolfers made French, Luxembourgouis, Persian, Portugese, Sedang, Spanish, plus many other countries and entities' decorations. Usually, their work is of high quality, like your Villa Vicosa star.

Happy to be of assistance. This quality and style suggests you do not have a fake.

As to period of manufacture, probably 1890-1900 [based on reverse crown reinforcement & Wolfers' address] not later than 1910. Though I do not see any in your posted images, you may wish to closely examine the piece for silver, import or other markings that may help define manufacture dates.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Immaculate_Conception_of_Vila_Vi%C3%A7osa for more information on the order.

Most likely, you have a Grand Cross or Grand Officer star--diameter measurements run from about 75 mm. to 90 mm. Usually larger stars equal grand cross grade.

Edited by 922F

I'm 90% it is silver with gold insertion. It is an extraordinary piece. I can't find any markings on it. Where do I look for them?

The star is 90 mm tall and 70 mm wide.

Does that make it a Grand Cross?

Thank you,

Sorin

Marks usually found on reverse of star body, at tips of star rays, on pin [either side], on pin hasp, upper or lower pin hinge, or on reinforcement work. Center, quite possibly of gold, may have a small mark on side of monogram. 70 X 90 mm diameter size could be either grand officer or grand cross.

Very nice star. Most unusual we know that Wolfers produced insignia of the Persian Lion and Sun to coincide with the state visit of the Shah of Persia, could this be similarly produced for a Portuguese state visit?

Paul