News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

After seeing the thread on the dodgy Bavarian Tschako I thought I should take some pics of my felt pickelhaube and ask for opinions.
    I’m not particularly bothered about the cockades or chinstrap, but will be slightly annoyed if the badge, although repaired and possibly added later, is a dodgy one. If the body is a known copy then I’ll be very annoyed as the liner, chinstrap posts and detachable spike all look good to me.
    Break it to me gently and thanks for the advice.
    Tony

Hello Tony

Wish I could help but I cant really. I was told as a kid to avoid felt helmets like the plague only had three in 40yrs off an on. A couple of points is it made from wool and soft? originals have a smell hard to explain.

We have to face a fact replicas have been made for 50yrs to my knowledge so today it is difficult and most have original hardware ta boot.

Eric

Thanks for taking the time to rely Eric, I was starting to think lots of views but no reply means it's obvious to everyone else what it is but not to me.

It's been in a cardboard box for years with a tin hat squashed up against it so the sides of the rim are now easy to move but then go up towards the spike and it's quite solid, it has a dent too which isn't what I'd call soft. I don't know what it's made of but wouldn't have said wool. Perhaps I should find a second hand shop with one of those felt hats old grannies wear and do some touchy feely stuff.

Tony

For me it LOOKS ok, bus you know I am no helmet expert....

For me too, I've always thought this one was 100% and you're the person I was thinking of showing it to so you'd best brush up on your helmet knowledge :)

Yes indeed.

Pictures of the plate with solder repair and changes to the lugs which were moved to fit the body. The body has a split, as if done with a knife, don’t know why as the (fiddled about with) badge fits in the original holes.

Tony

Oops, forgot the pic of the split in the body.

Edited by Tony

Ok, this make things more clear!

It looks like you have an original... however someone has messed with it a little bit. As you may have discovered yourself, the chinstrap and kokarden appear to be replacements. The helmet plate is fixed: the replacement crown on the orb appears to be something home made...

All in all a good helmet and with an original plate, chinstrap and kokarden, it will even be a fine helmet!

Adler 1

That's great news, thanks.

I bought it in the late 80s in the UK and it apparently came straight from a house clearance. I never believe the stories but who knows, perhaps it was a souvenir brought home by a soldier and the dealer I bought it from added the chinstrap and cockades.

Although you say the cockades and chinstrap are replacements, are you also saying they're original but not to this particular helmet?

Tony

Eric, you may indeed. Chinstraps and cockades are bits that can easily fall off and go missing so I'm not too fussed about them being wrong. I have several straps, all of which are probably aged repros, perhaps one of them would look better on the helmet.

Call me a pessimist but I don't think original chinstraps will be easy to find, straps that are better repros than earlier repros should be easy to get hold of.

A UV light? I don't have one however, if I see a pocket sized lamp I'll no doubt get it and try it out on the cockades.

Thanks for the tip.

Tony