Very unusual aircraft badge

Chris - no badge is shown . I think the plane is an American Liberator - we had two Squadrons in about 1943/44. The word

Bliksem on the motto - as you will know since you speak Afrikaans - is part of an expression - "Bliksem se Donner" - I may have

spelt that wrong. It's simple meaning is Thunder and Lightning - but it can be quite insulting.

The total of 113 bombing raids is quite amazing - one Squadron was used to support bombing raids into Eastern Europe and

with this total, the plane could well have been included. We had a number shotdown. Mervyn

• 2 weeks later...

hi all the saaf had 100 b26 marauders delivered and eventually served with 5 saaf squadrons a saaf b26 was the last aircraft of this type to be lost in combat by any user in ww2 on the 4th of may 1945, saaf b26s initally operated in north africa and finished the war in the italian campaign dubbed the widowmaker due to its high wing loading and high landing speed early in its career went on to be a capable meduim bomber great photo of bliksem by the way the photo is a usaaf b26 i like the bomb aimer/nose gunner having a fag

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Blog Comments

• As a theology student my professor, a much published former Naval chaplain, set us an essay, saying that if we could answer that successfully we would be guaranteed  a good degree "Which of the gospel writers was the biggest liar, discuss."   I got a good mark, but  don't want to be burned for heresy.   P
    • As my father used to say: "Tain't so much Pappy's a liar - he just remembers big."  
    • Brian: First, let me say that I always enjoy reading your blog and your "spot on" comments.  Another fine topic with such a broad expansion into so many different facets.  I had watched this a week or two ago and when reading your blog, it reminded me of this great quote.   There is a great video on the origins of "Who was Murphy in Murphy's Law"   Anyway, about mid way through this video, there is this great quote and I think it sums it up quite well to your statem
    • I've received word from the Curator that she has permission to re-open this summer.   We're already making plans for a November event at the Museum.   Michael
    • I recall I did the same on hot days at Old Fort York back in 1973-74 - wool uniforms, and at 90F they would let you take your backpack off.   Michael