News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Krupp 7,7cm L20 Infantry Gun review

This little review, dated July 01, 1918, is written on the back of a photography depicting a field-gun, by an un-named gunner of Infanterie-Geschütz-Batterie Nr.2.

He writes: Our gun. The L20 - 7,7cm infantry cannon is a weapon made by Krupp especially for infantry support. It has a barrel and breech that can be dismantled into three pieces with a core-barrel made of crucible steel (the best material it shows no wear from the 4500 rounds that went already through it). The entire gun can be disassembled into 6 main parts. This makes it possible to place the gun at the most impossible locations. This gun has proven itself dependable and most effective."

Original German text:

Infantrie-Geschütz-Batterie 2

Unser Geschütz
    Eine Spezialwaffe eigens von Krupp erbaut, benannt die 7,7cm Infanterie Kanone L20.Bemerkenswert daran ist das der aus einem Kernrohr bestehende, in drei Teile zerlegbare Rohr, aus Tiegelgussstahl – dem besten bisher bekannten Material – dem man die 4500 Schuss, die bereits daraus verfeuert wurden, gar nicht anmerkt und die Zerlegbarkeit in sechs Hauptteile die ermoeglicht das Geschutz selbst auf die unmoeglichst erscheinenden Plaetze zu stellen. Das Geschütz hat sich als auserst brauchbar und vorzueglich bewiesen.

and here is the pride and joy of IGB2

Details of the L20

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2015/post-1062-0-09411500-1421722047.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2015/post-1062-0-25547400-1421722068.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2015/post-1062-0-35957500-1421722009.jpg

Edited by Naxos

Hardy, that is an outstanding photo of the gun!  It's an interesting weapon because the gun tube is a shortened version of the same cannon on the Krupp 7.7 cm Feldkanone 96 neuer Art - the standard gun of the Field Artillery.  This shortened tube was then mounted on a mountain gun carriage (the reason it can come apart into pieces).

The first Infanteriegeschütz was made from captured Russian Putilov 7.62mm field guns.  Of course, Krupp's piece was considered superior as suggested by the writer's review you translated.

Thanks Rick

The British gun appears to me that it has been deliberately destroyed by its crew rather than by enemy fire. What do you think?

Hardy, I agree - either deliberate or a Rohrkrepierer.  If it was a Volltreffer, I would think the gun would have been knocked from it's firing position.  It looks as if it hasn't moved; only the gun tube is destroyed and some collateral damage to the wheels.

Hardy,

Thanks for the photo of the Krupp gun. I have the wartime history of the bayr.I.G.Batterie Nr.2 and they did not get these guns until the summer of 1917. Before that, they had captured Russian guns. There is a picture of the gun in the book along with it's limber, but it is a side view and not as clear as yours.

The same photo of the destroyed British gun appears in the book. The caption reads, "Gesprengtes englisches Geschütz bei Cormicy 1918".

Chip