News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unusual NCO Tressen in wear

The Tresse in that Jäger photo appears to be normal line unit (ribbed metallic) Tresse. The location is odd for sure. Perhaps he misunderstood the order to reduce the length of the Tresse.

Chip

Chip, thanks!

Do you have any details on the order to shorten the length of the Tressen?

I have seen the shortened Tressen on many photos of early-war field uniforms - (and own a NCO tunic with the shortened Tressen on the collar and cuffs). What I noticed is that the sleeve Tressen on Vizefeldwebel with Swedish cuffs are only present between the cuff buttons and on some tunics they are present only on the corners of the cuffs. Also it seems after 1915/16 the field-grey Tressen were applied in full length on the collars again.

What does it say in the regulations about wearing the shortened NCO Tressen?

Were the regulations changed again with the introduction of the 1915 tunic and field-gray Tresse?

Hardy

Hardy,

Sorry, I don't know of the specifics. In reading Kraus, he mentions the shortening and shortages of materials, but gives no specific dates. It's probably in the AVBs or KMEs somewhere.

Once the change to the Einheitsborte was made on August 17, 1915 via a KM order, it was only little more that a month until the full length was order to be restored. It was not until the later shortages that the papercloth braid was introduced and it was also meant for the full circumference of the collar.

Chip

Edited by Chip