News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

M?daille Militaire (France)

g_deploige

M?daille Militaire, Biface, Called Model des G?n?raux (Model de Luxe), 3rd R?public

Made By Arthus Bertrand

The arms and armour are workt out on bouth sides (Cannons crossed on the back)

The center is made in tree parts and is in gold, thats why the marks is an head of a boar with the head of an eagel in the same mark (see photo)

Very nice - I always assumed that this style with the crossed acnons on both sides was simply an older version of the award.

Do you know if it is possible to differentiate between medals manufactured in different periods, e.g. pre-WW1 awards, awards for WW1, awards for WW2, etc.?

It is very difficult to date the m?daille militaire from the 3rd Republic, the model depends on who whas the juweller who made it. The oldes piece is where the armes are fixed on the medal (Model de Versaille) 1870.

There existe an discription of serveral Types, Type I, II, etc but there is no periode mentiond

For me the models wit he arms on both side (cannons crossed ) and (Curasse) are luxury models.

The M?daille Militaire with the date 1870 is from 1870 until 1951.

Normally they has to be in silver (marked wit the mark (head of an boar) on the bottem of the medal on the reverse), after the second WW we find olso models in other metal.

Some time you can find the mark of the juweller on the suspention ring

Some time by the Medals of the 19th century you can find on the back an ancor (signe of Albert Barre) or the name Barre (Albert Barre whas the" Graveur g?n?ral" of the mint of Paris under Napol?on III, he died in 1878.

Edited by g_deploige