News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ulan uniform - Looking for help identifying

I am hoping someone can identify what the uniform means as far as rank, position, etc...  All I know is that the gentleman was a member of the Ulan (Ulanen??) in Germany, the picture was taken between 1873 and 1975, and the gentleman was approximately 20 years old when the photo was taken.  Any help would be greatly appreciated - as it is an ancestor. :)  BTW - what's with the cigar?!??!?!?!?

Carl_Wilhelm_Lueg_abt_1873-1875.thumb.jp

Oops - the pic was taken between 1873 and 1875.....

I am hoping someone can identify what the uniform means as far as rank, position, etc...  All I know is that the gentleman was a member of the Ulan (Ulanen??) in Germany, the picture was taken between 1873 and 1975, and the gentleman was approximately 20 years old when the photo was taken.  Any help would be greatly appreciated - as it is an ancestor. :)  BTW - what's with the cigar?!??!?!?!?

Carl_Wilhelm_Lueg_abt_1873-1875.thumb.jp

Oops - the pic was taken between 1873 and 1875.....

The photograph was almost certainly taken before March 1897 which is when a Kaiserheer order instructed the wearing of the national cockade above the State cockade on peaked hats and field caps, the national cockade to be placed on the right side of the pickelhaube and the State version on the left side. I can't find the exact reference for that date right now, but will look for it if it is needed. Nor can I help with the uniform just yet as I am away from home!

Edited by Trajan
    correcting reply

Ooops - didn't see your correction (the pic was taken between 1873 and 1875.....) until after I posted the above - so you knew the date...

As for the uniform, I would make a guess that this chap has a dark blue uniform with a yellow or red front - both of these colours appear dark grey or even black because of the type of film that was used. He also seems to have silver buttons, in which case I think it could be anyone of Ulan regiments Nrs.5, 6, 7, 8 or 14 (red) or 15 (yellow). No doubt somebody will correct me if I am way off the ID!

His cap without a bill indicates enlisted rank.

Thank you Paul C!!

The photograph was almost certainly taken before March 1897 which is when a Kaiserheer order instructed the wearing of the national cockade above the State cockade on peaked hats and field caps, the national cockade to be placed on the right side of the pickelhaube and the State version on the left side. I can't find the exact reference for that date right now, but will look for it if it is needed. Nor can I help with the uniform just yet as I am away from home!

Ooops - didn't see your correction (the pic was taken between 1873 and 1875.....) until after I posted the above - so you knew the date...

As for the uniform, I would make a guess that this chap has a dark blue uniform with a yellow or red front - both of these colours appear dark grey or even black because of the type of film that was used. He also seems to have silver buttons, in which case I think it could be anyone of Ulan regiments Nrs.5, 6, 7, 8 or 14 (red) or 15 (yellow). No doubt somebody will correct me if I am way off the ID!

Thank you Trajan.  I found a website with info on the uniform - http://www.kaisersbunker.com/gtp/ulan.htm , which shows what the uniform may have looked like. 

Where did you find the info on the various regiments, and their colours?  Also, do you have any idea what the chain type thing is that is located above his right hand (holding the cigar)??

Thank you Paul C!!

Thank you Trajan.  I found a website with info on the uniform - http://www.kaisersbunker.com/gtp/ulan.htm , which shows what the uniform may have looked like. 

Where did you find the info on the various regiments, and their colours?  Also, do you have any idea what the chain type thing is that is located above his right hand (holding the cigar)??

No ideas as to the chain, I am afraid... The colours are to be found in the various editions of the Moritz Ruhl guide to uniforms, of which the 1899 version is on-line at: http://verlustlisten.blogspot.com.tr/2013/09/die-uniformen-der-deutschen-armee.html